• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D2 5U08580 Project

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've got a possible project coming up putting a D2 back together and getting it running. I looked at it eight or so years ago when it was running but it has been sitting and parts have been removed. The left side head of the pony motor and the exhaust manifold has to be found. The steering is apparently stuck as when it was last running it wouldn't steer.

I'm looking for a parts manual and any technical info. All info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John C.

DSC00022.JPG

DSC00023.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00021.JPG
    DSC00021.JPG
    590.7 KB · Views: 11

Old Magnet

Looks pretty straight. Missing the usual dent in the rear of the seat tank LOL.
Head on over to the ACMOC group, lots of D2 enthusiasts over there.
Most original manuals can be found on ebay.

Reactions: DB2

Don Shilling

Occupation
Retired, multi occupation
I've got a possible project coming up putting a D2 back together and getting it running. I looked at it eight or so years ago when it was running but it has been sitting and parts have been removed. The left side head of the pony motor and the exhaust manifold has to be found. The steering is apparently stuck as when it was last running it wouldn't steer.

I'm looking for a parts manual and any technical info. All info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John C.

View attachment 231846

View attachment 231847
You should check on You Tube and search Squatch253 for a comprehensive tutorial on building a D2.

excavator

I have a D311 engine manual which the D2 used if you need it, don't know if the pony motor would be different between the D2 and D4? I might know of one off a D4 that might have parts available. There's a D2 parked right up the road from me if you need pics of any parts.

bccat

Occupation
Retired millwright,Heavy Equipment Operator
D2-D4 pony’s are the same. Got most of my parts from County Line, Tom Tolman. That’s yrs ago early 90,s. Does it have a hood?, looks like a Nice project, solid idlers yes,

John C.

Occupation
I got Gary! Did you scan that manual? I've got you on my Christmas list now.

bccat

Occupation
Retired millwright,Heavy Equipment Operator
Check your e-mail, there should be a parts manual there. 5J3501 and up.
3-5j D2,s are different than the 4-5u,s, engine is completely different, undercarriage, starting engine are the same

excavator

D2-D4 pony’s are the same. Got most of my parts from County Line, Tom Tolman. That’s yrs ago early 90,s. Does it have a hood?, looks like a Nice project, solid idlers yes,
Seems like I saw some pics awhile back and don't remember if it was County Line or Northwest Tractor Parts in Oregon that is going to shut down in the spring. Didn't look like much left.

John C.

Occupation
Dale and Corky of County Line are long gone. The yard was cleaned out years ago.
I miss being able to stroll through that yard and then stopping over to talk to Orin. I could give the vaguest of descriptions to any of the three of them and they would walk over to a bucket on a shelf and pick up exactly what I needed. Good people!

excavator

Dale and Corky of County Line are long gone. The yard was cleaned out years ago.
I miss being able to stroll through that yard and then stopping over to talk to Orin. I could give the vaguest of descriptions to any of the three of them and they would walk over to a bucket on a shelf and pick up exactly what I needed. Good people!
The ad must have been Northwest Tractor in Boring, Or. that I saw was closing..

John C.

Occupation
Thank you all for the information. I'll document what if find and do if I get the project.

Bluox

Thank you all for the information. I'll document what if find and do if I get the project.
The only place that I have used for hard parts on these old tractors that's still around is Phillips Tractor in Gaston Oregon .
If you need a phone number I think I have one somewhere .
Bob