• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat d 5 h lgp

naheed

just got this machine from canada its in superb condition only problem when its warmed up the gears dont engage immediately you have to get the rpm up to engage the gear and it jerks when it happens which i know is not good. any ideas to the problem? thanks

Highdrive

Occupation
owner, operator
just got this machine from canada its in superb condition only problem when its warmed up the gears dont engage immediately you have to get the rpm up to engage the gear and it jerks when it happens which i know is not good. any ideas to the problem? thanks

Change the trans filter first and clean the metal screen. I know when mine needs to be changed it sometimes won't go the first time I engage it. I hope that does the trick because it only gets expensive after that.
Nick

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
Low transmission pump pressure!!!!!!!!get a gauge check p-1 pressure if i remember correctly (1500 psi gauge) i think about 600 psi, look at the back of the trans case if bareback, or in with master switch door.......................when you get this far let us know and i will get you the perfect readings and procedures............................theironoracle

naheed

yup already changed filter and the screen. where is the pressure check point on the transmission? could it need an oil change? thanks

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
Naheed, no on the oil change, the pressure port if bareback is p-1 you will find it at the back of trans..remove a boss plug and install a male tap or plumb a guage in directly...............again when you get a gauge and hose and tap i will find all of the correct info, i only do this about twice a year so i can't remember exactly.....................theironoracle

farmin

my 89 d5h lgp does the same thing. sometimes the first time you put it in gear after starting up it doesnt go. original owner said its done it since new. had CAT out to look at it and said just something they do. put 600 hours on it since i bought it. thought about changing powertrain oil but idk if its necessary. gonna cost 800 dollars probably. or over a 1000 for synthetic like i should put in it since i run it in cold weather alot. what do you guys think

Per Eriksson

The valve body in the trans have a few simple upgrades that solves problems like you describe, take your serial to cat and ask them if they have any records if a service letter PS0350 is done, if they can't find it has been done, do it now.
Also check service magazine SEBD1850 on the same subject.

It is simple enough you can do it yourself, you pull the valve body and replace a spool with a new one.
When you have it apart also replace the screen as described in service magazine SEBD1972

Last edited:

Bob/Ont

Naheed, check the P1 pressure at operating temp.
Check in all gears at high and low throttle, pressure at low throttle should be 90% of value at full throttle.
I suspect you will have much less than 90% at low throttle. If so are all gears fairly consistent at low throttle? All tests at low throttle from now on.
If they are put trans in neutral and lock the parking brake. Watch for a big pressure increase when you lock the brake.
If you get a big increase in pressure, take cover off so you can clean any debris from around the park brake linkage.
If that didn't correct the pressure drop, pull each steering lever back to clutch release then to brake and watch the pressure reading. Then pull both at once and observe readings. If the pressure increases with levers back the rotary seals in the steering clutches are worn. Hope this helps.
Later Bob

naheed

Naheed, check the P1 pressure at operating temp.
Check in all gears at high and low throttle, pressure at low throttle should be 90% of value at full throttle.
I suspect you will have much less than 90% at low throttle. If so are all gears fairly consistent at low throttle? All tests at low throttle from now on.
If they are put trans in neutral and lock the parking brake. Watch for a big pressure increase when you lock the brake.
If you get a big increase in pressure, take cover off so you can clean any debris from around the park brake linkage.
If that didn't correct the pressure drop, pull each steering lever back to clutch release then to brake and watch the pressure reading. Then pull both at once and observe readings. If the pressure increases with levers back the rotary seals in the steering clutches are worn. Hope this helps.
Later Bob

hi Bob this is my first bull dozer and i dont have much experience with them ive work quite abit with excavators. could u be knid enough to send me a pic of where to get the p1 pressure? and im also looking for a parts and workshop/technical manual thanks
Photo0061.jpgPhoto0062.jpgPhoto0063.jpg

Bob/Ont

Naheed, Put an 800PSI gauge into those two holes with the 3/4"hex plugs(9/16" nf) stor boss. See what pressures you get. I think they might be P1 and P2, speed and dir pressures. If you get high 400's it should be P1. You are looking for a leak someplace, the easiest thing to happen is dirt falling in around the brake control linkage and limiting travel. A ball point pen or twig off a tree can do it. The dirt will prevent the brake valve from sealing off the oil drain when the brakes are released. If you are not satisfied with the pressure you get there are 4 plugs on the steering and brake valve. Two inner for steering clutch apply and two outer for brake release. And one more thing I forgot. Make sure the brake pressure comes up fully everytime the brake peddal is released, peddal and linkage is free.
Later Bob