• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D 353 high exhaust temp

Bergz22

7M-4601 is an old but good number. The latest service replacement is 7M-7431.
The strange thing is that the service documentation relating to the above changes is from the 1976-1980 time frame which is somewhat at odds with post #3 about them having been replaced within the last year. UNLESS they are "will fit" parts store brand rather than OEM Cat nozzles......
If I put 7M-4601 into the parts system it tosses me straight to 7M-7431.

View attachment 194886

Do you work for Cat?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Do you work for Cat?
Used to. Not any longer, but I know where a lot of the bodies are buried .........

More info regarding the 7M-4601 vs 7M-7431 saga.
It appears that Cat stopped selling the 7M-4601 nozzle separately and instead made it part of the 7M-7431 "Valve Service Group Kit". The 7M-7431 Kit also contains a 6F-1069 Seal and a 5B-7318 Seal.

Last edited:

Bergz22

Used to. Not any longer, but I know where a lot of the bodies are buried .........

More info regarding the 7M-4601 vs 7M-7431 saga.
It appears that Cat stopped selling the 7M-4601 nozzle separately and instead made it part of the 7M-7431 "Valve Service Group Kit". The 7M-7431 Kit also contains a 6F-1069 Seal and a 5B-7318 Seal.

Oh. I was wondering if you would be able to look up the specs on this engine, for the rack setting and governor spring.

I measured it today and it was .245

Nige

Let me have a poke around. I may be able to find something, but for an engine of that era maybe the info was never transferred from the old engine microfiche to the newer computer systems.

As a suggestion try joining the ACMOC forum and post there. Someone will likely still have some old microfiches kicking around somewhere.

Bergz22

I have a rack setting book. I just don’t know what hp and rpm this engine is supposed to be.

I know it should be set for continuous duty

Bergz22

Was able to find a tag buried under paint. Guess I should have looked harder.

D 353 6 cyl 6.25 bore 8 stroke
Serial 47B2020
High idle 1335
Full load 1225
Rack setting .180
Hp setting at sea level 425
BOM 40285

Nige

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together..? It's amazing what can be under 40 years of paint ........

I don't know if you noticed but that pump came from a sister engine (S/N 47B2020), not the one you are working on which according to what you posted way back when that is 47B2019.

Bergz22

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together..? It's amazing what can be under 40 years of paint ........

I don't know if you noticed but that pump came from a sister engine (S/N 47B2020), not the one you are working on which according to what you posted way back when that is 47B2019.

The tag I found was on the aftercooler housing, who knows where that came from.

Stamped on the block is 47B2017

Nige

Looks like there was possibly a bunch of identical D353 marine propulsion engines all built at the same time. I guess the only thing you can say is that if they were all consecutive Serial Numbers then it would be logical to cross your fingers and assume that they were all the same specification.

Bergz22

Looks like there was possibly a bunch of identical D353 marine propulsion engines all built at the same time. I guess the only thing you can say is that if they were all consecutive Serial Numbers then it would be logical to cross your fingers and assume that they were all the same specification.

Well. Two of our boats are triple screws. So there’s 6 353’s right there. They have since been reported.

Now only a smaller tug that is mostly a backup had 2 353’s. Those six used engines have been kept and put into the smaller tug when needed.

But I still think someone changed the configuration on this engine now.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
So long as hulls were solid was not too hard to perform repowers as engine parts got scarce for older equipment. We dragged a good many thin bottom scows out of Alton pool to cut up as the steel was leaving at a rapid pace!! Do they still buy crude blocks of Zinc to throw in the bilges on the hull floors for corrosion anodes? We used to pick them up a Tractor Trailer load at a time.

Bergz22

So long as hulls were solid was not too hard to perform repowers as engine parts got scarce for older equipment. We dragged a good many thin bottom scows out of Alton pool to cut up as the steel was leaving at a rapid pace!! Do they still buy crude blocks of Zinc to throw in the bilges on the hull floors for corrosion anodes? We used to pick them up a Tractor Trailer load at a time.

They buy them and weld them to the outside of the hull. Usually magnesium though.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Times do change. The ones we used were the Seconds from National Zinc ESL IL. Less than quality purity and Cheap. Only lasted a few weeks to months. Biggest problems on the hulls was bank wear, picking and setting empties/full barges they would drive into the shallows, drag bottom and destroy them from the outside, not many around here still drydock and re-skin just too many companies went out of the business.

Bergz22

Engine is running a lot better after making the adjustments. It it is still puffing a tiny bit, hard to see in the video.

The starboard is a lot worse, but it has badly worn injection pumps and forks.