• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D 353 high exhaust temp

Bergz22

The illustration I posted above was last updated in 1984, so the 7M-4831 number has been around for at least that long.

Well......I know for a fact that I personally changed the nozzles. I started my employment here 11/2016. And I was born in September 1986.

I can't remember the exact date but it had to of been the winter of 2016 or spring 2017 as I had the heads off both engines. One had a massive compression leak the other coolant and oil leak. Also both engines are not the updated ones that have the head bolts in a different configuration.

Also, these engines have had a z repair done to them. A giant pain to find the proper o rings.

I appreciate all you guys and your help. There isn't anyone around anymore to help me with these older engines that pre date my birth lol.

Most of what I work on are 353's, 398's, different variations of 3304's, 330's, 311's, 6-71, 3-71, 2-71, 12v71's and kta-19's. I just pulled out a kta-19 that has been in the boat and in-framed since 1989. My bosses wanted me to just put in new liners, pistons, head gaskets and get it running. The block was so so so bad you could feel the ridges with your finger. Didn't even need your finger nail.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Worked a lot of Small boats on Mississippi river Alton Pool. Most had older 110 Detroit Engines a few had EMD(heavier units) and a fewer others had Cummins or Cat back in my day.
353s were not too common but were out there, engines on the water lasted seemingly forever or self destructed way too soon usually from abuse or lack of concern for noises or odd visible problems as you have found. Only Cummins I ever saw in propulsion was a fairly new boat at the Granite City Terminal, had twin V12's VTA series, not sure displacement. Generators when not using main engines to drive power plants were often 71 series DDs some Gas and some fewer still small Case Engines(ONAN)

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Well......I know for a fact that I personally changed the nozzles. I started my employment here 11/2016. And I was born in September 1986.

I can't remember the exact date but it had to of been the winter of 2016 or spring 2017 as I had the heads off both engines. One had a massive compression leak the other coolant and oil leak. Also both engines are not the updated ones that have the head bolts in a different configuration.

Where did you get the nozzles then?

Bergz22

So just maybe they had been sitting on the shelf from 1984?

Not saying they are bad but something worth checking on if a dealer or shop in the area can test them.

I don’t know of a place that can test them. There are bags and bags of nozzles on the shelf. I went through them and tried to get them organized. It’s hard with part number changes and the one boat has a 3304 and a 330. Both take different nozzles.

I’ll look tomorrow and see what I have, if the bags look old or what the part numbers are.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Well on the outside chance there is a dealer or an injection shop in you area that even knows what a capsule type fuel nozzle is I'll attach the instructions on how it should be done. Note that this includes pre-chamber and direct injection systems.

Attachments

• Test Sequence for Capsule Type Fuel Nozzles.pdf
    588.5 KB · Views: 2

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Where you at in IL? Fabic has plenty of shops, IIRC Mikes at Hartford had access to a shop to send injection components, used to be a few decent injection shops around maybe National Marine has a name or Altorfer Cat?

Bergz22

Where you at in IL? Fabic has plenty of shops, IIRC Mikes at Hartford had access to a shop to send injection components, used to be a few decent injection shops around maybe National Marine has a name or Altorfer Cat?

I’m in Romeoville IL

Bergz22

We have another shop on the property where they used to rebuild engines, injection pumps, everything.

I wonder if they have a nozzle tester.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Never got more than a few miles up the Illinois, farthest we ever made was Hardin to the bridge. Main guy I worked machines for had a Fleeting Service and recovery company where they also staged before and after locking thru on Mississippi River. Came out for a smoke replacing a blower on a EMD, had started just south of Elsberry MO, walked around boat were coming up to Clarksville Locks. Little to no sensation of motion.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Juat a thought - check the muffler. You didn't mention anything about exhaust smoke (I don't think...) but make sure the muffler / exhaust system is free and not blocked. I would also suspect a fueling problem, but if not, a partially blocked exhaust system might generate the symptoms you are describing. Or just take the exhaust off for a bit and see if it helps.

Bergz22

Juat a thought - check the muffler. You didn't mention anything about exhaust smoke (I don't think...) but make sure the muffler / exhaust system is free and not blocked. I would also suspect a fueling problem, but if not, a partially blocked exhaust system might generate the symptoms you are describing. Or just take the exhaust off for a bit and see if it helps.

Taking the muffler off is easier said than done.