• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D 11 over wall.

Ironbark

What can one say? Many things lead up to tragic accidents like this. Its hardly ever just one thing. A combination of excessively Long shifts, (12+ hours), no or low berm, not familiar with haul roads in a particular cut, mechanical failure.

CAT TRUCK OVER WALL..jpg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
No. If you look just to the left of centre of the photo with the water truck in it you can see a discontinuity of the berm right on the skyline, that's where the dozer came from. The story is he was preparing a drill pad up on that top level and something "felt funny" according to him. So he parked about 15m from the edge, lowered all the equipment and got out to inspect the work area on foot. As he was walking around he found some cracks, and they were opening. As he stood there watching the whole area sloughed and took the dozer with it. That used one of his 9 lives up I can tell you.

OldandWorn

No. If you look just to the left of centre of the photo with the water truck in it you can see a discontinuity of the berm right on the skyline, that's where the dozer came from. The story is he was preparing a drill pad up on that top level and something "felt funny" according to him. So he parked about 15m from the edge, lowered all the equipment and got out to inspect the work area on foot. As he was walking around he found some cracks, and they were opening. As he stood there watching the whole area sloughed and took the dozer with it. That used one of his 9 lives up I can tell you.

Great story!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I was actually on the site when it happened, we had a maintenance contract on all the mining equipment there. Once he saw what was left of the tractor the operator was not compos mentis for quite some time afterwards, it shook him up badly the realization that proably no more than 30 seconds before it went over the wall he'd been sitting in the cab. I'm not sure he ever worked again truth be told. Screwed with his head too much.

OldandWorn

Did you feel the earth shake? Musta been quite a site if someone witnessed this from below and the relief afterwards knowing that it was a ghosted.

rare ss

I'll have to find it, but I have a pic of a wall slide which moved an EX1800 around 60m.. lucky it happened not long after a blast and the pit was clear scary stuff