• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat conveyor chain tool

Does anyone make a tool to break the conveyor drag chains on Cat pavers? We made our own tool, but it doesn’t work very good. Just curious what other paver mechanics do. We have 6 Cat pavers and we remove the chains every winter to do maintenance and then flip them side to side. So if there is a tool we would probably buy one. Thanks.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I haven't seen any big industrial chain breakers in years. You might check Amazon.

Thanks for the replies. The chain link is what heymccall has posted (359-1007)the side bar (#13) is a press fit onto the master link(#14). We use a ball joint c-press to install but getting them off is the issue. Like I said before, we made a tool but it doesn’t work very good and actually just broke. Just curious if Cat has a tool or what you guys do to break the chain.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Do you have the same issue installing a new chain..?
The reason I ask was I just wondered if the reason the side plates are difficult to remove is because the chain pitch has spread and the pins are no longer parallel the way they should be. That chain is nothing more than an oversize roller chain, the side plates shouldn't be a press fit AFAIK.

upload_2021-2-2_23-37-18.png
upload_2021-2-2_23-38-1.png

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I don't do a ton of paver work (probably just f'ing jinxed it) but on all of them I've had the pleasure they've had master links and weren't difficult on or off.

Occasionally we do industrial chain conveyor work and some of that chain is similar or larger that we do have to have to break, I know we looked at a porta-power run chain breaker at one point, looked like a little track press.

The Cat chain does not have a master link. I don’t think Cat even offers one. All the links are the same. Last winter I installed a new chain in a AP1000D (prefix EAD)and I had to use the ball joint c-press to install the side bar. We just bought a new AP1055F (prefix TJ5). Next winter we will see how that one comes apart. Thanks for all the replies and help.

Vetech63

The Cat chain does not have a master link. I don’t think Cat even offers one. All the links are the same. Last winter I installed a new chain in a AP1000D (prefix EAD)and I had to use the ball joint c-press to install the side bar. We just bought a new AP1055F (prefix TJ5). Next winter we will see how that one comes apart. Thanks for all the replies and help.
All you need is a grinder, hammer and a punch. Pick a link, grind the pins on that link flush with the sidebar, then use the hammer and punch to punch the link out. I guaranty you there is a place near you that has master links. What your buying from Cat is an assembled chain that is used when the gears are going on at the same time in production. Skid loader chains come that way...........its dumb and creates unnecessary additional work.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I'm out of my comfort zone here but why would everything be listed as separate Part Numbers (see post #6 above) if there was no master link..? I get the impression from that parts listing that each link ought to be able to be disassembled.

P.S. I just looked up every chain I could find for the AP1000D EAD-prefix machine. The only chain that did not have a master link were the roller chains for the conveyor drive group - P/N 227-8947 (Item #2). Are they the ones you are talking about.? They look like a pretty standard roller chain. If so it ought to be easy to get hold of a master link for them and simply either grind off the rivetting on one link or just cut the side plates with a grinder to enable it to de disassembled and replaced by a master link.

upload_2021-2-4_16-44-42.png

sled dog

Guys, Paver Mech is dealing with the conveyor drag chains. Yes they have rollers, but they are not roller chain with masters as most of you think. Every link could be and can be a master. And they are all press fit with pin keepers. Paver Mech, yeah I've done more than I want to remember, and none are fun. THE FIRST TIME. Knock the keepers out, then put an 8 or 12 lb. behind it and start driving it out. When it's out, carefully grind the 2 pin diameters down a little to make your new "master" a slip fit. Lock the back plate with a good cotter or roll pin to identify it next time. Yes, we used to swap side to side each winter. Blaw-Knox, Roadtec, Cat. The chains are all the same.

Reactions: DB2

Vetech63

Even the conveyor chains I’ve bought had master links. I don’t think I’ve ever bought any that didn’t and I’ve done numerous of those. I’m still not sure why OP is looking for a chain breaker/assembly tooling. I haven’t used that equipment in 30 years. Am I missing something?

I think I will do like sled dog suggests. I will open up the diameter of the side bar holes so they are a slip fit, and that will be my master link. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Henryy

Replacing or breaking chain links or pins with roller chain breakers leads to the best results and prevents damage. There are recommended tips for adding links with a roller chain breaker. Good timing in twisting it, getting the pin out, and adding the link and pin is crucial. The same is needed for a new or replacement chain set that will effectively add or replace chain links. Ensure your tool works well, especially in clamping the whole chain link effectively and not just part of the link. You’ll end up using pliers or vice-grip to enforce it when your chain breaker is not a good fit.