• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat controls, skidsteer

Seabass

Does any other manufacturer use Cat skidsteer controls in their equipment? Just curious.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
CAT buys their controls from Rexroth as does CNH.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
CASE and New Holland built by the same company which is CNH.

durallymax

Aren't "pilot controls" the actual use of electric joysticks, and ISO is the pattern (one stick drives, the other runs boom) or am i way off?

DGODGR

Aren't "pilot controls" the actual use of electric joysticks, and ISO is the pattern (one stick drives, the other runs boom) or am i way off?
"Pilot" controls means that your input (when you move the controller with your hand, foot, or whatever) goes into a system that operates the valves that, in turn, make your machine function. In other words it's a "control" system that is the "go between" between you and the machine. Most full sized equipment still employ hydraulic pilot control systems (hydraulic over hydraulic). The newer compact equipment has gone to electric pilot control (electric over hydraulic or "fly by wire") and I would imagine that all equipment is moving in that direction. I prefer the hydraulic pilot controls because I think they offer better feedback than fly by wire does.

durallymax

so basically every skid steer has pilot controls. Funny how that term gets used.

I like the electrical over hydraulic, less strain throughout the day. But i like the reliability of hydraulics, feedback as you mentioned, and ease of repair. its easier to find a leak than a shorted wire.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The term pilot controls or CAT controls has become very over used and in most cases incorrectly. However in this case if asked who else uses the same system as CAT it would not matter if you are talking EH or Pilot because the are both sourced from the same place and that is Rexroth. Case also used Rexroth for its pilots. The Alpha series does not offer pilots its either EH or standard which is not even servoed I believe. I think that was a mistake but oh well.

dave esterns

the majority of skid steers are sold with the standard manual non pilot controls non servo controls. as far as controlling your machine, there is no better way to do it.

one of my buddies had a case 445 and traded it on a new alpha case, he is going to be pissed when he finds out it does not have servo controls.

to answer your question to the best of my knowledge...
case: mechanical (h pattern) electric (switchable) option
new holland: same
cat: electric or pilot hydraulic depending on size
terex: pilot hydraulic
kubota: electric
jcb: electric
takeuchi: electric
bobcat: mechanical or electric

basically most are going with the cat style but a few still offer mechanical controls. who invented this cat style control?

prfire20

Occupation
construction
I was told pilot controls were designed caused of the higher hyd pressure in the newer machines and without pilot controls using the controls would be very difficult... is this true ?? or did a salesman sucker me in to a fishin story

Seabass

DGODGR.

The pattern as a operator point of view. When someone asks what do you run, cat controls, bobcat, hand or foot, for example. I was curious how many other machines have adopted Cats's pattern as it were. I just started running a Case 430, it sure is very different from running Caterpillar skidsteers which is what I'm used too.

DGODGR

DGODGR.

The pattern as a operator point of view. When someone asks what do you run, cat controls, bobcat, hand or foot, for example. I was curious how many other machines have adopted Cats's pattern as it were. I just started running a Case 430, it sure is very different from running Caterpillar skidsteers which is what I'm used too.

Ok, I suspected that might be your question, and that's a bit different than the direction the thread has gone. In the future you may want to call it the Cat control pattern instead of Cat controls. I know that it is a widely used term but, as you can see, it leads to confusion at times. Either way I have not heard the term used in reference to skid steers. Excavators and backhoes yes but not skids. IMO the pattern that Cat uses is more commonly known as the ISO contol pattern. I believe that ISO is an international standardizing body like ASE is here in the US. I'm fairly certain that all MFRs can offer that pattern, especially on the units that are equipped with pilot systems. My Bobcat A300 has that pattern when in the "skid mode". When in the "steer mode" it uses the same pattern except that when you are in reverse you move the lever to the way you want to go, instead of the way you want the front to go, when you steer (hopefully that makes sense). I hope that answers your question.

durallymax

Yes ISO is the international standards development agency. The OEMs meet to discuss what to come up with for a standard and ISO regulates and puts into effect the standard. Its nice how more and more things are finally becoming standardized. In the Ag world, we now have nearly every new tractor rolling off the line with ISO-BUS compatibility, meaning any implement can be plugged into any tractor with no additional monitor.

dave esterns

except for john deere, they know thats the only way they can keep charging exorbitant prices for their tractors.