• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat c7 vs int'l vt365

Busboi

I convert school buses into RVs, not exactly the same industry but the same engines, and who knows better than the professionals? I have a choice between an '05 C7 with 85k miles on it and an '06 VT 365 with 80k; the price, body, and transition are all the same and so I'm just wondering, which is the better engine? Thank you.

Tags

Burn them both.....:D the international is,I belive, basically the ford 6.0 motor, so that's a roll of the dice and the C7 is, well, a C7. If the C7 has been maintained I would think that might be the better motor, but someone with a lot more knowledge on both of those engines should chime in soon I would think.

I've had both engines in two different trucks and I never was impressed by either one. The 6.0 I had was in a 550 that I bought new and it was meticulously maintained, always had clean fuel, and never idled, and I've never had an engine leave me dead on the side of the road more times than that one, I had a C7 in a freightliner FL80 10 wheeler that I bought used with 80000 miles on it but I'm fairly sure the maintainance on it left a lot to be desired, since I had to replace the motor in it shortly after I bought it.

AzIron

Isb cummins or the tried and true dt 466 witch has only let me down one time when it got over reveved and thru a rod

I here dt 360 ar ok but never pushed one myself

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
International as a company has been through a lot of trouble since the VT365 and you can read all about the problems of the Ford Powerstroke version. The C7 is nobody's favorite either but was a lot more stout motor to begin with. Its main problem from my perspective was shelling the HEUI pump which takes out the injectors as well and requires expensive parts and expensive cleaning of the innards. But it might be OK for an RV since it won't get zillions of miles and hopefully get the oil changed. As stated above, the Cummins 5.9 and 8.3 are much simpler and more reliable generally but everything has its problems.

Dave Z

Definitely agree with BV - go for the C7 - at least the bulk of the problem with them is limited to the fuel system - the VT365's or 6.0 Ford - same engine I think had issues with about every part of them possible - EGR coolers, streching head studs, head gaskets - you name it. Another one of those 2 maybe 3 year production engines that very few solid updates were ever made that improved them.