• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat C18 exhaust manifold gaskets???

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Hope this is a good place to post this.

Right at quitting time today our 988H came to the shop with a bad sounding noise, after some checking found the source to be and exhaust leak from a missing/broken exhaust stud. Believe I had noted this stud to boss a while back but he did not seem too worried. Well now it has started leaking very noticeably.

Cat C18 engine S/N RHX00979

Figured I'd order the gaskets and studs from home tonight so they could be picked up in AM. That's when I got lost do not see any listing for exhaust manifold gaskets?? They do point to something called Sleeve assembly. Would these "sleeves" be the gaskets?

Also notice the instructions for removing manifold call for draining the coolant, just one more fun thing to deal with in morning!

kshansen

Occupation
If you mean 6 x 281-2861 Sleeve As, yes that's the exhaust manifold "gasket".

P/N is actually 281-8216, but yes those are the ones I was thinking. Thanks for the reply.

Now if I can have some luck getting that broken stud that is right next to the thermostat housing out......
Really need to find out where I left that Sonic Screwdriver!

Thanks again for your help, Nige

SchuLace

The sleeves slide into the head and have a graphite type gasket on each side of the sleeve flange to seal. I know they have been using that style for quite a while on the truck engines. Don't forget the turbo mounting gasket and oil line gaskets.

kshansen

Occupation
Check the ATAAC

Are you thinking the after cooler is the source of the noise? I'm pretty sure the noise was coming from the exhaust but will double check before I start tearing it apart. Need to fix seat in 769C first.

kshansen

Occupation
Not sure about the C18 988H engine but on C32s in 777F's the ATAAC hoses are famous for leaking. There's been any number of "updates" to both the clamps and the hoses themselves.

I will give them a good looking over. Now that the manifold is off just need to try the candle wax trick to ge the two #1 cylinder broken studs out. I have been soaking with some penetrating spray. Did give a quick hit with a drill bit right at quitting time, not very impressed and it was a new bit! May have to mig weld some nuts to them if I can't drill for easy-out. The other ten studs came out pretty easy once they broke loose the taper-lock.

I'm hoping the boss will let me go a little deeper, rocker box gasket/seal is leaking behind the turbo. I hate not fixing a leak when I'm that close.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
just take it off and say its damaged and needes a new gasket

kshansen

Occupation
just take it off and say its damaged and needes a new gasket

Boss was in a good mood this morning and when I asked him about the rocker housing leak he said "never going to be closer". He then asked if the dealer would have the gaskets in stock. That's when I told him I had ordered them last night and they were sitting on the shelf waiting for him to pick up in the morning!

I used Nige's idea of the candle wax on the two broken studs. First drilled a hole down the center then heated with small brazing tip then held the candle to it to let melt a good amount. Then after a few minutes to cool first stud came out pretty easy with easy-out. Second stud was a little harder reheated a second time that did the trick! That one I had drilled a little off center which probably is why it was harder to turn. Once either one turned half a turn they could be turned with very little torque.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
KSH, you won't believe this but today we had a D9T (C18 engine) with an ATAAC hose deteriorated to the point at which it had a small pinhole in it. You couldn't hear it blowing at TC stall but the boost was down enough to make it "sluggish". Suggest you check all your hoses and clamps.

Also take a look at the top of the oil dipstick tube. If it's the same on a 988H the tube is fixed to the engine block using a clamp with a thick rubber insert. The one on the 9T had fretted to such an extent that it had worn a hole in the dipstick tube and dirt was getting through the hole into the engine. (SOS analysis put us on to that one)

kshansen

Occupation
KSH, you won't believe this but today we had a D9T (C18 engine) with an ATAAC hose deteriorated to the point at which it had a small pinhole in it. You couldn't hear it blowing at TC stall but the boost was down enough to make it "sluggish". Suggest you check all your hoses and clamps.

Also take a look at the top of the oil dipstick tube. If it's the same on a 988H the tube is fixed to the engine block using a clamp with a thick rubber insert. The one on the 9T had fretted to such an extent that it had worn a hole in the dipstick tube and dirt was getting through the hole into the engine. (SOS analysis put us on to that one)

I'll have to do some checking in the morning. The 988H dipstick has two simple clamps, one on top of oil filter and the other I believe is on the support bracket for the oil filler tube. I'll check them. How did you find the pinhole in the hose? Just feeling around while running at TC Stall?

kshansen

Occupation
Thanks for the pictures.

Checked all my hoses and they look good a light coat of dust with no holes to be seen. The clamps on the inlet side of the ATAAC were a littile loose, no sign of leaking but snugged them up. My dipstick tube is just lightly polished under that clamp, will keep an eye on it.