• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat C15 Stumble and Smoking

Hunter013

Occupation
Head Floor Sweeper
I'm going to clean out/ replace the fuel filter housing valves and base. As well as the fuel return directing valve. I'll check the duty cycle of the pedal too.

Is there a certain amount of ATF that should be added to oil? Should the oil be changed shortly after running it with ATF? Would putting any ATF in the fuel system help?

pushbroom

I've chucked in 2 liters then changed oil later the same week. Sometimes the detergent in the ATF can clean out the IVA's, sometimes it makes no difference.

Also just into the engine oil. Fuel has nothing to do with the IVA's

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Several truckers here paid that price as mixed waste oil with fuel, one got a load of ATF, had a slight pinkish hue and got nailed by State. Proved it was ATF not fuel dye but cost a bundle. Has since stopped adding filtered waste oil.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I thought the waste oil thing was illegal in itself because the fuel tax isn't being paid on the oil portion of the fuel?
When I ran wreckers the owner was doing the waste oil thing for a while. Nasty, smoky stuff that. It worked, but he ended up dropping the idea, it caused more problems than the money it saved, I think.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Most burn it as shop heat these days. SO Glad my KW has a 6NZ after the OH. IVA System on previous engine was Junk as checked Solenoids where two were shorted, oil gallery in lower rocker cover was full of crud. No telling how much cost to get it all back up to functional. Intake region of head was lined with over a Inch Thick layer of Soft LOOSE Carbon.