• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat Brakes not working

Jsconst

Hello. So I have an older cat TH63 Telehandler. Over the new years holiday I had brought it into a shop to get some repairs done. He repaired a bent outrigger, replaced front tie rods, and replaced bushings in the frame leveling hydraulic cylinder. When we drove it into the shop the brakes were fine. when we drove out they were dead. Push the petal to the floor and there is little/no braking. So we bled the system between the booster and axles and it improved slightly. I thought perhaps the master cylinder needed replaced or rebuilt so i took the line off the outlet on it and capped it off; pushed the petal gently and it was rock hard, so certainly doesn't seem to be the issue. Now I have to bleed the air i let in between the master and the booster cylinders:( Anyhow is there a possibility that there is some connection between the frame leveling ram that he had to take off to replace bushings, and the brake system downstream of the booster cylinder? Could air get in where he took that ram off and somehow get into the brakes? any other ideas or suggestions? seems like it literally went from good brakes to none while parked in the shop getting the other front end work done. Also no visible leaks in the brake system, unless a seal inside the axle went and its draining hydraulic fluid into the diff. We don"t seem to be losing hydraulic fluid in the tank though. The level is still up, also the little bit of braking we have is a bit better when the machine is cold right after startup.