• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 994 fuel consumption

lynchy

Occupation
Plant operator
Hi, wondering if anyone got real life heavy digging figures for cat 994 fuel burn?
Regards

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
A 994.? I had no idea there were any of them in the UK.
Which model of 994 specifically.? There will be a big difference in fuel consumption between the earliest models from the 1990s and the latest K model.
Also is it digging shot rock (if so how well is is shot?) or loading from a stockpile.?
How many tonnes per hour is it moving.?
What capacity is the bucket, and more important how wide is it.? The bucket width can make a huge difference to fuel consumption.

lynchy

Occupation
Plant operator
Hi,thanks for reply,vague question I realize,no there's none over here,was a discussion about amount of energy used to mine for ev batteries,range of figures was 58 us gallons per hour from cat to 150 gallons per hour for 994H in an article just wondering which was more likeley,regards.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Cat advertises a 944K standard equipment fuel tank with 910 gallons as a 12 hour run time which comes out at 75.8 gallons per hour. This I'm sure is theoretical.
The 944H standard equipment shows 1013 gallons but does not give it a 12 hour rating. It that is the figure it would pencil out at just below 85 gallons per hour. Actual use may vary.

I'm sure both figures have maybe a little exaggeration by their marketing department. I've heard plenty of Cat people say that if it is done by marketing, a lie doesn't matter.

Nige

Cat advertises a 944K standard equipment fuel tank with 910 gallons as a 12 hour run time which comes out at 75.8 gallons per hour. This I'm sure is theoretical.
Yes John, but they also advise not running the tank down below 15% fuel level either. So taking a 775-gallon usable capacity over 12 hours would give a consumption of about 65 gallons/hr.
A 994H will burn somewhat less because it has less BHP compared to the K.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
The 944H standard equipment shows 1013 gallons but does not give it a 12 hour rating. It that is the figure it would pencil out at just below 85 gallons per hour. Actual use may vary.

I'm sure both figures have maybe a little exaggeration by their marketing department. I've heard plenty of Cat people say that if it is done by marketing, a lie doesn't matter.
I know it's just a typo, but does Cat still make a 944? And since I'm off topic, does the 994 still use the mono boom?

Nige

And since I'm off topic, does the 994 still use the mono boom?
It never did, always had a H-frame. The mono boom you are thinking of was on the 988H/K & 992G/K models.

EDIT: On the 992 models the mono boom was one-piece cast steel, right at the limits of the casting technology at the time ('95 IIRC). The monoboom on the 988s was fabricated with cast ends and centre a bit like an excavator boom.

Last edited:

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
It never did, always had a H-frame. The mono boom you are thinking of was on the 988H/K & 992G/K models.

EDIT: On the 992 models the mono boom was one-piece cast steel, right at the limits of the casting technology at the time ('95 IIRC). The monoboom on the 988s was fabricated with cast ends and centre a bit like an excavator boom.
Ok, I knew it was on the 988 and the 992, just assumed it was on the 994 as well. I always wondered how it would hold up over time. The typo about the 944 took me back to an old one a local contractor had. No cab and rear steering. Not the same machine, but our first 980 was purchased with a spade bucket. They bought a square edge bucket for it and decided to put it on snow removal. The Cat guy that does all our service work, said he didn't think we would be happy with it and that it was the kind of machine that in the quarry, or in the snow pile, it burns a lot of fuel. I can remember one storm fueling my L70 Volvo, and putting 83 liters in, and the operator putting over 300 liters in the 980. Mind you, he was pushing a 16 foot flange to my 12 footer, but my machine is a lot faster. Any way, after one winter, the square bucket was never used again, and was put on the machine when they traded for the new M. It seems to me they paid $20,000 for that bucket, and it was used. I can't imagine what a new one for that machine would be.

Last edited:
Reactions: DB2