• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 988A Information

Arnauld K

I understand that but there is not so much information online about the generator set engine, hence looking for the Arrgt Number. There are 8 different possibilities of Arrangement for a 62B-prefix engine.

5P6926 does not contain any crankshaft bearings or piston rings. It would be highly unusual for any gasket kit to have them.
5P6926 appears to be a complete engine gasket kit and DOES contain a cylinder head gasket, so I do not think you need a separate cylinder head gasket kit. I have attached the breakdown of 5P6926 - 151 line items.
and also I'm very confused about the quality of some parts sold on ebay like the bearings. is there a a way to know if theses bearing in the link are of good quality?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2313998321...yBFEKoAyH/pmLGfGCbKelsXVc=|tkp:Bk9SR46UntvjYA

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I am not sure that I would be comfortable buying crankshaft bearings from eBay.
thank you very much sir, I found a number on the 62b11670 block; the number is 7S3600, here is the picture attached .from the file you sent, i can see there is no water pump gasket in the list so i will need to buy one. thank you very much for your help.
Unfortunately that is the casting number for the block and doesn’t really give any clues.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Just to butt in here on the question of using a genset engine in a 988A.

I would think that about the only things that may be an easy swap would be the block, crankshaft and cylinder head. I would expect the flywheel housing, oil pan, oil pump, front cover, fuel pump/governor, and the intake and exhaust systems would be very different just to name a few things off the top of my head.

Now if the original 988 engine has a block, head and crank that are not usable and the genset engine has all those parts in usable/rebuildable condition I think it might make a good donor engine if the price is right!

kshansen

Occupation
As for those Ebay bearings first thing I would need to know is who made them. I see they say "returns accepted" that might be good if you were in Florida or some place in the United States, but not sure how good that would be for someone in Cameroon! Do they pay shipping if you need to send them back? I see they want over $10.00 to get them to me here in New York, what do they ask to Cameroon? And what is the time frame for shipping in either direction?

Also do you know if either engine you are wanting to repair still needs std. bearings? I mean those engines must be around 50 years old or more!

Arnauld K

I am not sure that I would be comfortable buying crankshaft bearings from eBay.
Unfortunately that is the casting number for the block and doesn’t really give any clues.
Ook, I will keep on looking for that arrangement number. Any recommendation on where I can buy good quality bearings, pistons rings and gasket kit at an affordable price?

Arnauld K

Just to butt in here on the question of using a genset engine in a 988A.

I would think that about the only things that may be an easy swap would be the block, crankshaft and cylinder head. I would expect the flywheel housing, oil pan, oil pump, front cover, fuel pump/governor, and the intake and exhaust systems would be very different just to name a few things off the top of my head.

Now if the original 988 engine has a block, head and crank that are not usable and the genset engine has all those parts in usable/rebuildable condition I think it might make a good donor engine if the price is right!
thank you sir, we bought a genset engine with most parts in good conditions, we hope once rebuilt, the engine will last for many many years.

Nige

Ook, I will keep on looking for that arrangement number. Any recommendation on where I can buy good quality bearings, pistons rings and gasket kit at an affordable price?
As mentioned by KSH above, based on your location I see a few options to purchase parts of acceptable quality.
1. Buy from your local Cat dealer.
2. Have someone buy from a Cat dealer elsewhere (Europe or Middle East maybe?) and organize shipping to you.
3. Have someone located elsewhere buy from a non-Cat source so that they can inspect the parts for you (and be able to return them if they are defective) before shipping them on.

Arnauld K

As for those Ebay bearings first thing I would need to know is who made them. I see they say "returns accepted" that might be good if you were in Florida or some place in the United States, but not sure how good that would be for someone in Cameroon! Do they pay shipping if you need to send them back? I see they want over $10.00 to get them to me here in New York, what do they ask to Cameroon? And what is the time frame for shipping in either direction?

Also do you know if either engine you are wanting to repair still needs std. bearings? I mean those engines must be around 50 years old or more!
yeah your remark is pertinent . i was not able to see the the brand of thoses bearings and as they were so cheap, i was really reluctant about buying them. I would love to have a trusthwothy place where I can safely buy all the parts I need, as my mechanic has required good quality and standard bearings to rebuild the engine. the local official caterpillar dealer in cameroon sells the bearings and all the piston rings alone for about $10 000. that is out of my budget!!!

Arnauld K

As mentioned by KSH above, based on your location I see a few options to purchase parts of acceptable quality.
1. Buy from your local Cat dealer.
2. Have someone buy from a Cat dealer elsewhere (Europe or Middle East maybe?) and organize shipping to you.
3. Have someone located elsewhere buy from a non-Cat source so that they can inspect the parts for you (and be able to return them if they are defective) before shipping them on.
your 1rst option was suggested to me by my mechanic, we went to the local CAT dealer and the price was extremely high, and they refuse to sell the full gasket kit, the prefer to sell the parts of the gasket kit in details, that makes the price for the bearings , piston rings, gaskets, seals and filters to be about $15 000 !!!
i prefer to buy them in the US because I have some acquaintances over there, that can receive the parts and ship them to me at a lower price. and I believe CAT's parts are cheaper in US than in europe or middle east, as CAT is originated from the US.

kshansen

Occupation
Here is a partial list of arraignment numbers for the 62B engine that should be located on a tag near back of block just under cylinder head if I recall:

arrg numbers.png

Here is what the tag should look like, not sure if that is the front or rear of the block been a few decade since I was near one of these 988's!
988 Engine tag01.jpg

Arnauld K

Here is a partial list of arraignment numbers for the 62B engine that should be located on a tag near back of block just under cylinder head if I recall:

View attachment 267847

Here is what the tag should look like, not sure if that is the front or rear of the block been a few decade since I was near one of these 988's!
View attachment 267848
Ook that will help me , many thanks.

Arnauld K

I've found this website: https://floridapartszone.com/ , they are selling all the parts that are requested by my mechanic, at a very affordable price.has anyone had an experience with them ? or what are you thought about the quality of their products ? since I intend to buy crankshaft bearings and piston rings from them .

Nige

Hi, please I need help to know if the valve grinding kit of reference 5P6927 contains pinstons rings, I'm really confuse.
No gasket kit will contain piston rings.
Here is the kit breakdown. It appears to contain some of the same items that were contained in the 5P6926 kit that you asked about before.

Attachments

• 5P6927.pdf
    186.2 KB · Views: 14

Arnauld K

No gasket kit will contain piston rings.
Here is the kit breakdown. It appears to contain some of the same items that were contained in the 5P6926 kit that you asked about before.
please how do you proceed to be able to see the parts of a gasket kit? i want to find out what is the contenance of the 8M3768 which is the water pump gasket kit.

Arnauld K

I can access a system that is an add-on to Cat SIS that gives these break downs. SIS shows the gasket kit in various places but doen not give the contents.

See attached.
thank you very much, you are helping me save money, I could see that the valve grinding kit (5p6927) and the water pump gasket (8M3768) are all included into the full gasket kit (5p6927). just that in the water pump gasket, there is a reference (9M9989) that is not incuded into the full gasket kit. I will see with the mechanic if I can go without the water pump gasket inspite of that reference that will be missing.