• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 980 K

ruralexmech

Whew! That's a pretty machine. The tires haven't even dusted up yet. I hope the new loader goes well for you, looks like a pretty solid machine in terms of contemporary heavy equipment.

Per Eriksson

No, it is a K marked as an H since the new ones aren't officially released yet and just out for testing.

r00t

First two pictures again.

Attachments

• DSCN1184.jpg
    DSCN1184.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 17,887
  • DSCN1185.jpg
    DSCN1185.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 13,007

r00t

.. and two new ones.

Attachments

• DSCN1186.jpg
    DSCN1186.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 13,312
  • DSCN1187.jpg
    DSCN1187.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 10,347

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
That's quite a set of furnaces on top of that engine. One would think the heat of those would contribute as much to climate change as the emissions they put out. Maybe that machine can be plugged into apartment buildings at night instead of using hydro power or burning coal. You could make a parking spot for it in the basement and let the rising heat keep everyone warm.

Just look at how much steel has to be removed before you can pull the heads. Service trucks are going to have to grow some more.

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
I wouldn't mind taking one for a spin. I like seein the option (or down right change to) of the steering joystick. Sure is a lot under the hood though

Magnum

Occupation
Consultant
It seems like that Cat has spyed a bit on Volvo with the door opening forward, the right hand side window, cab filters mounted on the right side of the cab etc. Does anyone know how it runs? Does anyone know if it is faster than the H-series?? The Cat wheelloaders that I have operated has got very poor gearshifting comfort and hunts gears all the time going uphill, I hope that they have improved this on the new ones!!

r00t

frontalnij_pogruz4ik_cat_980k.jpg

Asphalt/Dirtman

i think the lever be better than steering wheel, until you got moving at a good clip and bump it and veer left.........

Wrench_one

Occupation
Mining Equipment Mechanic
We just ordered our last 980G II to make the deadline. as of feb, if you order a 980 you will get a K model with all of the Tier 4 emmisions crap. Diesel particulate filter, EGR as well.
The K looks like a great machine but there will be some limitations as far as owner serviceability because of the tier 4 stuff.

BigIron25

Wow, thats quite a crazy looking machine, is cat building fighter planes or are they still in the heavy equipment business... its hard to tell! Im interested in how that steering control lever works, side to side i guess? With a push button shift?

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Wow, thats quite a crazy looking machine, is cat building fighter planes or are they still in the heavy equipment business... its hard to tell! Im interested in how that steering control lever works, side to side i guess? With a push button shift?

The trigger switch on the steering stick is used to control direction. If my memory is correct you push the top of the trigger in for forward, the bottom of it in for reverse, and both out is Neutral. On top of the stick there would be two buttons to select gear up or down. And then yes, left or right turns the loader left or right. Might be backwards on my F/R, but I hope that helps:drinkup

Wrench_one

Occupation
Mining Equipment Mechanic
The joystick steer machines are really great to load with once you get the hang of it. Both of our 988H's have them.

r00t

new pictures...

Attachments

• Torsten Februar 2011 004.jpg
    Torsten Februar 2011 004.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 3,214
  • Torsten Februar 2011 005.jpg
    Torsten Februar 2011 005.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 2,379
  • Torsten 2011 001.jpg
    Torsten 2011 001.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 2,763