• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 980 h wheel loader

Ocka

Hi Thank you for all your help in the past looks like I need your help again thank you.
I have a cat 980h wheel loader that is having trouble with hydraulics.
The bucket tilt seems to be in a float status but there seems to be a load on the Hydraulucs until I pull the tilt lever back and then the load seems to go away as No function is commanded.
The main loader arm still will raise and lowers.
There are some codes coming up with the back light appears on.
They are.
Thank you for taking the time to read my thread.
Thanks .
Ocka.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Questions: -
1. Is the SERV CODE icon (see below) lluminated for each one of the five Codes that you listed above.?
2. Is there any chance that the "082.0718.03" Code in your list might actually be "082.1718.03"..? (It would make more sense if so)

upload_2022-3-22_0-18-56.png

Ocka

Sorry the display is lcd but it is backlit otherwise just normal lcd display it stays same for all

Nige

Sorry the display is lcd but it is backlit otherwise just normal lcd display it stays same for all
That sounds to me as though none of them are Active if the SERV CODE does not light up for any of them.

Can you get hold of a Click Box aka the 4C-8195 Service Tool.? Using that would enable you to clear all stored non-Active Codes and maybe help with diagnostics. At least it would indicate where NOT to look. If you don't know what a Click Box is then see this thread, especially on the last page where the instructions are located on how to McGyver one from 2 pieces of wire & a couple of terminations if you can't get hold of the genuine article. https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/the-famous-cat-click-box.72956/

Ocka

Yeah ok thanks nige I’m a bit isolated in rural oz but I’ll explore getting one of those click box things and while I’m at I’ll probably chase up the required pressure gauges to test the hyd systems just wondering if you or anyone would have P/N for the gauges .
Being interesting reading the threads on the 980 h hyd a fair bit going on there a bit of a learning curve for a livestock farmer.
But once again thank you.
Re

Ocka

Hi nige as you can see I don’t think that the active service codes would highlight in orange as your previous photo showed on this display please correct me if I’m wrong or should I be looking somewhere else
Regards
Ocka

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9

1466IH

If you do a search for "Cat Click Box" on this site there is a very good write up on how to assemble your own. As for gauges your local hydraulic shop should be able to take care of you

Nige

Hi nige as you can see I don’t think that the active service codes would highlight in orange as your previous photo showed on this display please correct me if I’m wrong or should I be looking somewhere else
Regards
Ocka
The "SERV CODE" icon is right there in your photo.............
The only difference between what I posted above and the photo of your display is the backlight colour, otherwise they are both the same as regards what information they display. Now what you need to do is scroll through your five Diagnostic Codes one at a time and check if the SERV CODE icon lights up or stays blank. Come back with the info.

upload_2022-3-23_1-40-46.png
If you do a search for "Cat Click Box" on this site there is a very good write up on how to assemble your own.
I posted a link to the Click Box thread - it's the last line of post #5 above. Ocka, you really need to read all 4 pages of that thread but pay particular attention to the last page because there is a "work around" using two bits of automotive wire and a couple of connectors for anyone who doesn't happen to have a Click Box handy.

Ocka

Glad you know what you are talking about Nige ,the one that the Serv code comes up is
Rang Westrac up re click box and there is none in Australian so will need to listen to you guys and read to make one.once again thanks to all of you

Esmund

Dear All,

Sorry to hijack the conversation, as I'm new in this forum and don't how do i start the conversation.
I have an unit of CAT980H having some issue. Bucket tilting very slow but the rest is working fine. May I Know what should i do?
TIA

Nige

Rang Westrac up re click box and there is none in Australian so will need to listen to you guys and read to make one.once again thanks to all of you
Mate if you read the last Page of that thread I linked you can knock one up using nothing more than 2 pieces of automotive wire. I suggest to get your problem fixed first then we can walk you through how to erase the Logged Diagnostic Codes using a Click Box.

Here's a thought. Where exactly in Oz are you.? There might be an HEF member somewhere near you who has a Click Box.

Nige

Sorry to hijack the conversation, as I'm new in this forum and don't how do i start the conversation.
Esmund, See the attached link on how to create your own thread............. https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...estions-answered-hopefully.76199/#post-801587

Isuggest to create another thread in the Wheel Loader section so that things don't get too complicated and we all forget which machine we are talking about. Make sure that you mention your machine Serial Number.
Also read the posts above and make a list of what Active Diagnostic Codes you have. Attach that list to your post as well.

Reactions: DB2

Ocka

Yes ok thanks all
I’m located in central NSW about 2hours from Dubbo our nearest major town and an hour from Nyngan our small local town.
Do you think the valve on the vent pipe similar to a bucket float could be causing the problem.
Hope to get hold of some gauges on Friday in dubbo.
Thanks again
Regards

Nige

Ocka, if you go back up to Post #14 you will find an Adobe pdf attachment. That document contains the troubleshooting procedure for your 082.1718.03 Active Code. Do that procedure first and see where it gets you before proceeding further.