• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 977L switching Tracks

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
I haven't tried out a 955. I am kind of in love with the 977. There was a 983 fairly close, sure wish I would of taken that for a test drive!

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
A 983 at 71650.3 lbs no no no. Just like a boy going to a toy store, looking, touching, hopefully driving. But there would be no buying. Cat did't make many of these. Parts if you can get them $$$. I've seen them in pictures. Doubt I'll ever see one much less drive it.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
YA I regret not pushing on with the 983. His Dad had just went through it with new undercarriage, rebuilt engine, and I don't know what else. He was selling off his Dad's company and got huffy about how much it was worth ect. ect. And that the Cat dealer offered to buy back the engine for $5000 ect. ect. He was abrasive I didn't like the thought of talking to him any more ect. ect.. Life lesson don't quit until the fat lady sings. 45 minutes drive might of at least given me a ride on a sweet machine. And then you just don't know what gift could go your way.
My best 977K was bought at auction 1 hour and 20 min. away. New undercarriage, new modern bucket with the outside teeth hanging off the outside edges.
Strong engine, no smoke $6000. Best part I inspected it, drove it.
I paid $12,000 for the one that has the bulldozer like pads. Pictures looked great, man that did the maintenance said every thing worked great ect. ect..
It is a good tight machine supper engine, clear exhaust. BUT!!!!

"""HELP"""" !!! DO I HAVE TO TEAR IT DOWN TO THE CLUTCH PACKS TO GET MY RIGHT CLUTCH TO """"RELEASE""".

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
DMiller you were quite right about the turning force due to bulldozer pads. I was out today on frozen ground with a thawed broken rock surface. Obviously much much harder to steer than the other 977K. Well that pealed off what was left of the inside flanges of some bottom rollers. This machine has track guides on the lower frame or I would of thrown a track today. Now its obvious new rails and pads were put on old rollers. There is not much much left before the shells break off. I haven't checked the rollers on the 977L. The clutches and track adjusters are working at least.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Inquiring minds asking. With a 225 excavator in the stable why would one not want a rubber tired loader for that second machine? Just curious.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
My mini lime stone quarry produces broken sharp stones of all sizes. As DMiller says the little embedded sharpies go in,and if you don't get them out they disappear into the rubber. Hopefully the belts will stop them before a flat. I also use the crawlers to breakup the rocks to make gravel for the fire trails.

With my stone the pieces can break up when I try to remove them. Then the rolling of the tire, (I have heard) pushes them in deeper and deeper. I try to stay ahead of them on the truck. I've seen pictures of wheel loaders with something that looks like chain mail on the tires. That would probably do the trick

I like wheel loaders, but I think they would probably get stuck in the woods in the winter.

I looked at the bottom rollers on the L yesterday not allot left on them. Old lesson always "Question" the work that was done in the past. The L had new segments on the drive sprocket and a link on the rails was removed. Sure looks good in pictures. The square edges on the sprocket tore up the rail bushings.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Rubber tires on quarry machines were always short lived, tracks faired no better as the aggressive behavior of the aggregate ground its way thru any metals. Just do not get recurrent flats on tracks.

houser

I have a 955 that I need to get some work done on and my dad had a 977 that my uncle now owns. It is a beast compared to my 955 but I like my 955 much better.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
houser I do have a mindset of the bigger the better. I do face the problem it also means the more $ to keep running. When it breaks could mean a trip to the banker. Your Dad owned a 977 so you must have spent a good deal of time on it. Why dose the 955 work so good for you.

I forgot to say the L machine has like new triple bar pads. Quite deceptive.

Like new triple bar pads on the digger/loader K. I hope most of the wear is on the pads.

The Bulldozer pads and rails look like new. When I can come up with some bottom rollers I believe I will make the L into a Snow Cat/Bulldozer and lite material handler.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
955 more nimble, 977 is a HOSS and a bit awkward where a 983 is a Open Territory or demolition machine.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
houser I would still like to hear your opinion. Of course it would be great to hear what others have experienced also.

I peal up the lime stone in layers. I have a ripper tooth on the 225 ex. to peal with. That way I can see what I'm doing and separate and preserve the good rocks. I'm trying for big flat stones for the future patio and hopefully to put on the 5" brick ledge on the house.

I wish I had a wider bucket with a shorter top so I can see what I'm loading up on the 977.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
It will be time to fight/Roundup garlic muster in the woods soon. Not looking forward to that. I have a 2 wheel drive Rokon motorcycle I want to use to haul my sprayer around with instead of walking this year.

Offroad Equipment came back with a bid on new rails,nuts, bolts, double grouser pads. $5400. I will still be waiting for the lucky donor machine for awhile. Trek didn't get back to me.

bunkclimber

This was standard track,not SALT track with a alligator link. I identified which pins were the master pins by looking for the existing welds on the outside that held them in..using oxy-acet torch,cut the weld material off the outside of the link..this also burns away some of the pin on the outside of the track link..those rails were scrap anyway..then hit the link and pin with a BFH/sledge and a BIG chisel..couple of hits broke it loose,it shot out the other side of the track..just be careful to support the track rail with a 2"ratchet strap or so it doesnt unfurl itself..lot of weight there.I drove the new pins in with the same BFH,but it went pretty easy as the newer rails I cleaned up with a grinder and had brand new Cat master pins..went right in no problem.Welded up both sides of the pin with ER70S6 MIG.All you are doing is keeping the pin from walking out of the track link. A farm tractor with loader or forklift is essential for this job.

How did you cut out the master pins? Did you drive in the new masters with a sledge hammer? Did you weld up the ends of the master pins?
I've done that on loose pins.

Welder Dave

I think you have to be careful how hot you get the links when you weld the pins. There's Belleville washers or some kind of seals that could be damaged. Wouldn't think 977 pins would pound in that easy.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Thanks for the lowdown on welding master pins. My 977's all have dry rails even the 1972 977L. The pins have 2 bevel washers on each end. I believe they switched to salt rails in 1976.

I looked up HOSS on google it would refer to a large trust worthy fellow. Like Hoss Cartwright on Ponderosa. I watched that show when I was like 12. So thanks DMiller. I was checking out the 955 at 30,000 lb's it must have some good heft. I mean to try one when I get a chance.

bunkclimber

Well, I don't know if that post could be considered the lowdown,it's just what I went thru..If you have torch skills it sure helps cutting the master pin welds out..WelderDave is right on the link heat tho..keep the heat on the pin,its sacrificial,throw away altho you could reuse it I guess..I remember spending some time with a die grinder and cleaned up the pin sockets on both sides of the track links before welding it in. It didn't just slip in,but went OK with a BFH. PITA getting the bevel washers to stay in there. I beveled the pin bore outer edges in the link a bit,no too much, so the weld would have room to lay in..I used MIG but you could use stick just the same. My old 1970 977K doesnt do major time anymore,just an occasional job project on the farm. I do have my eyes on a 983B playmate for it in upstate PA..probably pay more for permits and transport than for the machine itself

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Bunkclimber thanks for sharing your experience.

I bought track jacks off Ebay for $60. Hopefully they will take all the pressure off the master pin. I plan to cut the center out of the MP and drive both sides into the middle. Then pull up the replacement track with another machine and come along, and then get the track jacks installed. I will make up a dummy pin with a free clearance fit through the links. Then use it to get all the links lined up. Then buy a master pin and polish it down on the lathe till I have a light press fit. Install it with a dead blow hammer. Weld a little on the pin ends just to be sure they have no chance of moving.

Hopefully it go's as planned!

I love big machines! But Welder Dave is right. You don't ever want to replace the under carriage on that 983!!!!