• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 977L switching Tracks

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Can I put a track chain/rail from a 977L 11K4042 into my 977L 11K5251? Also I read you can push the track adjusts all the way back and remove the the track without removing the master pin and braking the chain. I live about where the the glacier stopped in south center Wisconsin. Dug the house into the northeast corner of our hilltop. Put in geothermal in the valleyish place 500 feet below our house. Well it made the excuse to buy the 1972 Cat 225 excavator and the 1969 Cat 977K. I worked the 977L till it whore through the bushings, Quite aways though the pins lucky the track only broke though one side I run her up every couple of months nice and hot and go back and forth on level ground and mix up all that oil. The L has a 4 in 1. I want to dig a bunch more lime stone to use on forest roads.
I sure like reading the posts!

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Magnet I sure hope you are right. I have a 11K1263 here that I wouldn't mind pushing into retirement (for awhile).Chain and pads are great. But I was out looking at it today, and the bottom rollers from the outside look great. The inside has 5 flanges gone or getting there. I was was unpleasantly surprised. The pads are triple grouser like brand new. Then someone did a great job of welding bulldozer single grouser extensions. It looks like a snowcat. Work in the woods is best done in the winter with snow cover.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The tell all on the rollers is the added Dozer Grousers, with the base weight of a 977 and then add a Load in the bucket are looking at serious side stress on the flanges. Do not do well unlike on dozer where are primarily Pushing. Another add will be the heavier 4/1, asking for issues on the other tractor.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Excellent point DMiller. I will check the bottom rollers on both machines. I was thinking to just swap the chain. The 977L 11K5251's bucket is pretty bad, I hope the bottom rollers are good. I would like to fabricate a brush/root grapple to hang and bolt on the dozer blade. Then use the clam cylinders to run the top half of the grapple. Winter in the woods summers spreading and smashing limestone. The 1969 Cat 977K triple grouser has very good bucket for digging and loading.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
I have offers in on 2 machines. pretty low offers. They are both the 977L's and have the 3306 engine, 20 more HP. One has double grousers one triple.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Double grouser shoes with a 4/1 will be easier on machine, tri bar shoes seems to load and slip easier in softer sticky soils.

Reactions: DB2

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Old Magnet thanks for the good news about switching the track! Years ago the parts guys at the Cat Dealer said the numbers of the different machines don't match. So I checked with them Friday for a quote on tracks for my 11K5251 they said can't find a good number. Sent me to the track shop to see the 40 year veteran of track. He said Cat had stopped making it. He repeated 11K1 to 11K5958 is all the same 8" pitch track, and D7 dozer at one time. I still want to compare some measurements but I'm convinced. How about bottom rollers?

DMiller I would agree the the tri bar works very good on rock and fairly dry soil. Plenty of traction to dig, easier to turn. But when working in snow they pack with snow that turns to ice. Can't clime hills or pull out tree trunks. Double grouser shoes would probably be the best combination.

I am looking for a way to get the 977L back in serves. It has the the third valve and the better 3306 engine . Plenty of other things to do here. But if the price is right I want to be ready to buy a parts machine.

Thanks Shawn

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Gonna wind up going aftermarket on rails, ITR, Berco, one of the Others, not going to have Cat life but should be fine for your purposes. Standard today is Two Bar shoes on Loaders, Single tall grouser on Dozers.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
DMiller mite be going new. I expect my use 25% or less.Probably new rails at $4000. If I can find a machine at about that price I'l buy it. Double grousers installed even better. Going in the snow is a must. My trashed rails/chains have like new shoes that have to find a new owner.

bunkclimber

switching rails on my 977K I laid the new (lightly used) rails out infront of the loader both sides,cut the old master pins out of the old rails on it, then flopped the ends down,drove the loader right onto the new rails,pulled the ends up and over the front idler and rear sprocket and pulled em together with track jack then drove new master pin in and welded it up.master pin is easiest to drive in right on the rear sprocket behind machine..easiest access.having a forklift onsite is priceless for this job

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
How did you cut out the master pins? Did you drive in the new masters with a sledge hammer? Did you weld up the ends of the master pins?
I've done that on loose pins.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
977L I would think would have a segmented master link, pins will be tough to impossible to move with a sledge unless blow the center out of the pins ends then the pins are scrap. Later new rails should come segmented master link and SALT design pin/bushings.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
They added the segmented master link with the 8.5"pitch SALT tracks. Mine a 1972 977L are the 8" pitch dry rails that Oldmagnet informed us are the same as all the 977K's. I've been down with a open toe sore for 4 months. Doctor gave me the all clear to return acting my age ( Diabetic 61). Yesterday the unit with the bulldozer looking tracks got its first taste of snow. Wow I can get it in trouble and get back out +++++. Maybe I should fix the clutch that won't release.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
I'll give them a call. This thread got started when there was a local auction. The auction is over, they got $8900 for a 1972L. To pricey for me. Then another 1973L with double grousers turned up. I put a $4000 offer on it. They still want $7500 down from $10,000. Not quite sure what I will do.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
A 977K/L here in any form of Running condition, rails shot, leaking like a bad wound even barely able to handle digging will still advertise over $9k, decent machines will carry $10-18k easy. Rails and shoes are going to be expense no matter how you look at them in 'Lightly Used' or New aftermarket. A major concern not yet brought up is dry pin rail wear concerns, may carry a nearly full external bushing but have been presented corrosive or abrasive invading materials that affect pin to bushing wear and the rails essentially be worn to >100% while look great. Scrapper value junker with salvageable parts sold then metals scrapped will still garner $7-12k easily.

Reactions: DB2

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
I've requested quotes from both Trek and Offroad Equipment. I would possibly pay up for the 1973L but all I have is pictures. Its 600 + miles away, too far away for me to go and test drive. Shipping probably around 2-3K. But can I buy that 4th 977 without a really good excuse to tell the wife! Could cost me more than a few nights out on the town. Really Honey I get all this for a little more than price of a set of rails!