• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cat 966 b loader

kohle

Looking at maybe buying a old running cat 966 b pay loader the owner has put a new injection pump on it a new lift pump a new starter and a water pump the steering pins are wore out which is normal them I can make but I was wondering about parts for the rest of the machine if a person can still get if needed (transmision parts torque converter etc) any answers will be helpfull

kohle

Parts availability should be reasonable. You can probably get parts for less than you could make them.
Offroad Equipment - www.offroadeq.com/ are a good source of supply for both OEM and aftermarket parts for older equipment.
thanks Il will look into it but am I asking for trouble buying such a old machine want to use it on farm for hauling stones away in the fields that we dig up with the track hoe

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
thanks I will look into it but am I asking for trouble buying such a old machine want to use it on farm for hauling stones away in the fields that we dig up with the track hoe
As is oft-quoted on this site, if you're planning on buying a piece of equipment and you don't know enough about equipment, have someone who does know what they're looking at inspect it for you. Be prepared to pay them if necessary to do that work, just like you would any professional providing services. It can save you a lot of heartache further down the line.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
thanks Il will look into it but am I asking for trouble buying such a old machine want to use it on farm for hauling stones away in the fields that we dig up with the track hoe
All depends on the price and the condition, like Nige says find someone familiar with the type of machine and pay them to do an inspection!

Not sure on the size of stones you are dealing with but could a skid-steer like say a 1845C Case handle them? Might be more useful for other things on a farm.

I know the farmer who owns the fields next door to us has two or three skid-steers with special buckets with big slots in the bottom that they run around the field after it is plowed to scoop up the stones. Kind of fun watching them scooting around almost looks like a game! Get a bucket full and dump in the hedge row and go back for more. Most of the stones they get are maybe basketball or a bit larger size. Not sure how they moved some of the stones in the stone walls around here that are about half the size of a small car, I know they were moved long before anyone knew what a skid-steer was or even a tractor.

kohle

s/n for this old gir is 57h310 so maybe some one can tell me if it is 50 plus years old or just 50 and the size of stones vary around here from basket balls to bigger than cars that a 22 ton track hoe has a heck of a time digging them out the price was right for some thing of that vintage but who knows how long it will last?

kohle

So that will make here 53 years young oh well Ok we did by here but she has straight pipe on her was wondering if I can put a muffler on it to. It has a two speed transmission in it if there is a easy an reasonable cheap way of getting a faster road speed out of it.thanks

kohle

does any body have any idea of where i can get any books for this machine I did go to the site that Nige said i should go to but not to much luck there so far would like to find cat numbers for all the filters on it would like to change them all but im sure I can get them cheaper at a whole sale place of some sort than from cat. And yes a muffler would be nice she is load

kohle

Thanks grandpa did it break the head from to much back pressure or from to heavy on the manifold the engine on here has a turbo on it I dont know if that is factory or a add on

Reactions: DB2

kohle

Have another question the tires are pretty bad on this loader and I have found 2 used ones that have quite a bit of thread on them will it be okay to put these on the front and let the spun down set in the back or will this be to hard on the drives on it.

kohle

adding to a old thread. Having trouble with this old loader now with water going into crank case and water going through exhaust. What would I look for to find the problem. Checked the engine after cooler and is ok thankyou