• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 963c problems help

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
now cat says they have a problem with the main rebuild center in Georgia supposed have 2 new drive pumps from Germany arriving today going to test them on the bench before installing t
This is not a new problem out of that rebuild plant. It is ongoing and not all the plant's problem. Cat is not the easiest to deal with in remanufacturing criteria.

Jlb84

Well still in the shop engineer flew in today said it needs a new drive motor which has already been replaced with a 6 month warranty that went out sitting in there shop. Said the software has a problem with the new drive pumps in the transition period from low speed with the pumps to high speed with the motors that this is old technology there dealing with and basically my machine will b operational but not like it was before.

Cmark

Well still in the shop engineer flew in today said it needs a new drive motor which has already been replaced with a 6 month warranty that went out sitting in there shop. Said the software has a problem with the new drive pumps in the transition period from low speed with the pumps to high speed with the motors that this is old technology there dealing with and basically my machine will b operational but not like it was before.

Did you ask the dealer about my points made earlier in post #27?

sawmilleng

This story highlights an uncomfortable truth about "new, modern machinery". It may work like a hot dam while it is new, but get a bit of crap in the lifeblood (hydraulic oil) or have an electronic box blow its brains out and you are hooped. That 963 basically consists of 6 parts: diesel engine, 2 pumps, 2 track drive hydraulic motors and the hydraulics brain box. Engines can still be rebuilt properly almost anywhere. Hydraulics and the brain boxes are a different animal. And you are beholden to those that can fix the stuff.

The replacement hydraulic parts are pricey and don't lend themselves well to the small guy fixing them. A transmission (for example) can be pulled out and rebuilt by almost anyone but a hydraulic pump or motor takes a lot more tech (and $) to get it right. Bend over a barrel...

Mudober said it right (#42, above)--stick with the older tech (at least for the small guy or the farmer)

When repairs run to significant % of the machines first cost, the machine better be operating a very high % of its available time all year long to offset the repair cost. That may be a point that many smaller contractors don't realize.

I'm one of those small guys- I finally pulled the trigger on an older Hyundai 290LC3 some time back for the farm. I was crappin bricks about the hydraulics. But the contractor that had it was planning on keeping it and changed out the main pumps and swing motor before he decided to retire and sold it to the guy that I got it from. I have a weak track motor but I hope I can live with that by concentrating on keeping the hydraulic oil clean and watching the contaminants in the oil and bypass drain oil flows.

I have been poking around, looking for a 955-sized machine, but in seeing this thread I sure won't be looking at any of the iron that uses 100% hydraulics to drive.

And when the dealer can't get the repairs right, as Tags says, "get a good lawyer".

Jon.

Cmark

Yes sir I did and they said yeah we’ve done been through that!
Well if they did swap the pump controllers from the old pumps to the reman pumps, I don't see any reason why the ECM shouldn't play nicely with the hydraulics. That's why I would be interested to see a photo of the reman pumps installed.

Essentially, all the ECM is doing is modulating signal pressure to both the pump and motor controllers at the same time. When the pump controller is getting enough signal pressure to fully upstroke the pump, the motors take over using the same signal pressure to start to destroke the motors. In other words, the machine speed is mainly down to hydraulics. To be laying blame on the ECM isn't right, IMO.

1682910333869.png