• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 955l starter solenoid?

mpirate

Hi guys:
I have an interesting problem. I have a 955l that has been sitting for several years. Obviously, when I tried to start it, I got nothing. I replaced the batteries and when I tried to start it, I could hear (and feel) a loud "click" or "thump" which was the solenoid engaging the bendix on the starter. I got voltage to the solenoid, but no voltage to the starter post with the switch engaged. I removed the solenoid, disassembled it and cleaned the plate and contacts inside the unit, and reassembled it and reinstalled it. Same thing. My question.... if the solenoid is doing its job by engaging the bendix, shouldn't it also be engaging the contacts?? They are both on the same actuating rod. Trying to figure this one out, before I get a new solenoid and find out that I have a wiring issue somewhere else...Thanks for any input!!! BTW. If I put power directly to the starter stud on the solenoid, the starter engages and starts the engine.

Delmer

Double check that you put everything back together correct. Find a parts diagram if you can, you might be missing a spring or something that makes all the difference. Or the bendix end isn't put together correctly causing the contacts to keep from closing.

Do you know that it was starting fine when it was parked? or possibly wouldn't start so it sat?

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
You bypassed the solenoid and the starter worked. Where did you get your power from? Directly from the battery? Or, did you jump across the solenoid lugs?

I’m thinking a dirty connection on the positive battery cable or a bad solenoid, or a combination of both.

mpirate

Delmer, thank you for your input. Yes, I believe that I put everything back together correctly, since it is doing the exact same thing as before. I'll see if I can find a parts diagram.
Coaldust, I pulled power direct from the positive terminal of the new battery using a jumper cable to the bottom lug of the solenoid which goes directly into the starter. Battery connections and terminals were all cleaned.
It was running and starting fine when I parked it several years ago. Is it possible that there are two separate windings in the solenoid? One that engages the bendix (because that seems to work fine) and another that engages the contacts that provide current to the starter? I would just buy a new solenoid, but according to Caterpillar, they don't make that type anymore and none are available. They are of course able to sell me the new type of starter and solenoid as an assembly for the bargain price of 500 to 600 dollars. I'd rather not have to go that route.

Coaldust

Occupation
Yes, two windings. Pull-in and hold-in. You can test the resistance with a ohm meter.

That’s a Delco Remy starter. Easy to get parts for from NAPA or any auto electric shop. Fairly easy to cross reference the Cat part number to Delco. If you have the part number handy, please post it and I can run the number for you. Or, a picture.

Coaldust

Occupation
10R-0399 updates to a Delco Remy 42MT. part number 10478942.
Which converts to a NAPA Wilson Reman 91014400 $315.96 with a $86.42 core charge. Or new $522.58

Coaldust

Occupation
Your old square back solenoid isn’t really available anymore. It updates to the Delco 1115683. Without a picture of your starter, I can’t be sure. You can still get rebuild kits for your original one. Or, your local electrical shop may have NOS on the shelf.

mpirate

Thanks Coaldust. Do the Delco Remy and Napa starters come with a solenoid already installed on them? As I said, my current starter works fine, Its just the solenoid thats inoperative. However, if they come with a solenoid already installed, that price is a lot better than what Cat quoted me. If I have to replace everything, then that may be the way to go. I'll try and post a picture of what I have (I'm not good at this posting stuff yet!). IMG_0384[1].JPG IMG_0385[1].JPG IMG_0382[1].JPG IMG_0383[1].JPG

Coaldust

Occupation
I see what you have now. Thanks.
Yes, those are complete units. You can certainly just replace that solenoid.

NAPA # is WIL 60013513 $41.89 with a $3.33 core charge.

mpirate

Thank you Coaldust, but that napa # shows a 12v solenoid and the actuator end (not the electrical end ) is different. It's missing the "plunger" assembly. If I can find the Delco 1115683 that you mentioned previously, I think that would be the right one. Thanks for taking the time to check things out for me!

Coaldust

Occupation
You are welcome. My bad. NAPA Pro-Link crossed it to the 12volt one and I didn’t pay attention. I’ll take another look. New solenoids typically don’t come with the plunger.

You should use your original plunger because the starter drive engagement is adjusted with that.

mpirate

Thanks to all who helped me out on my starter and solenoid issue. Just a quick update.... I ended up buying a new style starter and solenoid assembly so that i dont run into the discontinued solenoid problem in the future. I paid $235.00 for a new aftermarket assembly and it seems to work fine. I now have an extra CAT starter with no usable solenoid as a spare...Anyway, Thanks for all of your input... One last thing.... Does anyone know what the proper replacement oil filters are for the steering clutch and the transmission? I have changed the engine oil and filters (engine and fuel) and am now looking to do the same for the backside of the machine. Thanks again!!