• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 955L saved from being paperclips. Looking for help on tensioners and injectors.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Also not yours does as mine where the weight of the bucket rolls it back when parked. Piddly poor over heavy mechanism!!

kb9tci

It made quick work of clearing an overgrown waterway. Unfortunately, the garbage 4-1 bucket let me down when I was a little overzealous with a black locust. I’m really not too excited to try and fix it. Anyone know of some good salvage yard leads?15F5D13F-A481-494C-80C0-FC9E23AE8BF3.jpeg2597B582-451D-439A-86CC-F4E8A6E50A20.jpegAB5BE7A1-75A2-4553-850A-B4776EC50DD4.jpegB6B99601-8B30-42CB-BC58-6DC80B5CB30F.jpeg

showrguy

It made quick work of clearing an overgrown waterway. Unfortunately, the garbage 4-1 bucket let me down when I was a little overzealous with a black locust. I’m really not too excited to try and fix it. Anyone know of some good salvage yard leads?View attachment 187345View attachment 187346View attachment 187347View attachment 187348
Yikes,
There's been an add up for awhile here on Craig's list, they have a 955 bucket, but they want 3 grand for it, it ain't selling at that !!

Tags

Ouch, that stings! You may be better off disconnecting the hydraulics and welding the clam shut if you need to use it while you locate a new bucket....

kb9tci

The side plate is fixed. Here’s a picture of the weld, mid process. I’ve been pulled away from it for a while with the honey-do list and some health issues. As soon as the cylinder is repaired, it’s all ready to put back together!1AAF1870-6CA9-4C62-937D-713931F5A5D7.jpeg

kb9tci

9E487E83-6CEE-44E8-A528-30A6EE6D5166.jpeg F8E35D9B-C586-450C-8254-736BD18FBCC6.jpeg AA8EFE37-899F-456D-A843-4A44178C5500.jpeg In the midst of not having the time to work on it, I perused Rock and Dirt and found something I needed...

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
It looks as though that weld was done with solid wire and a mig machine. I have never liked a mig for work of that type. Have had a lot better luck with dual shield wire or using 7018 or 8018 for those types of repairs. Those little dimples on the end of the bead steup stress concentrators.
You may have better luck than me with those types of repairs though.

kb9tci

It looks as though that weld was done with solid wire and a mig machine. I have never liked a mig for work of that type. Have had a lot better luck with dual shield wire or using 7018 or 8018 for those types of repairs. Those little dimples on the end of the bead steup stress concentrators.
You may have better luck than me with those types of repairs though.

It was a solid wire fix. I was out of 7018, so I put in a couple good roots after a preheat and topped it off. When I welded the reverse side, I cut down the bead at the ends and wrapped the weld around from the reverse.

Whenever I was repairing this, I saw a good amount of stress micro cracks at the flame cut edge. One of those micro cracks was the culprit of the mess. I’m going to get this one fixed up and then switch off the bucket to the general purpose one.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
You will like the GP once its on, old girl will be a dirt digging ballerina as so front end light. Both us need to work on the spoil upper lips on our GPs and me the one on that Ulrich MP.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Too late for this repair I know, but it may prove useful to somebody in future....
Welding to the open end of a plate it's obviously difficult to avoid stress risers when starting and stopping a weld bead. Run out tabs tacked on to the plate at one or both ends of the weld allow both the arc to be struck and for each weld bead to be terminated outside the boundaries of the structure that is being welded. The tabs get cut off afterwards using a grinder with a cutting disc. The length of the tab, highlighted in yellow, should be as a minimum equal to the thickness of the plate being welded and preferably closer to double the thickness.

upload_2018-12-7_8-34-19.png

Metalman 55

View attachment 189091 View attachment 189092 View attachment 189093 In the midst of not having the time to work on it, I perused Rock and Dirt and found something I needed...

Depending on the type of work you do with it, you will likely find that you will mostly use the GP bucket more, higher volume, lighter & less to stick in it when wet. We have a GP on our 955L & really like it.

Re the hard wire welds, I have seen some heavy repairs done with hard wire & they held just fine with the settings being right. More forgiveness with the flux core settings that's all. Another thing, ever notice that hard wire welds are harder to grind down? The flux core or 7018 stick welds seem somewhat softer for some reason...…….

DB2

For future reference Cambrian Equipment Sales in Winnipeg MB Canada has at least one of these being dismantled.
204 667 2867

Cheers

petepilot

Too late for this repair I know, but it may prove useful to somebody in future....
Welding to the open end of a plate it's obviously difficult to avoid stress risers when starting and stopping a weld bead. Run out tabs tacked on to the plate at one or both ends of the weld allow both the arc to be struck and for each weld bead to be terminated outside the boundaries of the structure that is being welded. The tabs get cut off afterwards using a grinder with a cutting disc. The length of the tab, highlighted in yellow, should be as a minimum equal to the thickness of the plate being welded and preferably closer to double the thickness.

View attachment 189109
nige wish i had seen this post a couple days ago before i put this back together. thanks can use that idea in future20181127_164649.jpg 20181127_164649.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I tried to adjust that picture a bit as I was having trouble seeing it on my monitor, not sure if this helps.

That crack looks like one I recall we had on a 769C that was never successfully repaired. Wish I had this picture for the welder to see back then!frame crack.jpg

The attempt on our frame amounted to a quick grinding of the crack with 4 inch grinders and one or two passes with 7018. Looked "pretty" when done but looks only get you so far!