• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 955L saved from being paperclips. Looking for help on tensioners and injectors.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I also see the head dowels still in, has the deck been checked for true? May need a few thousandths of mild cleanup to be certain the head gasket does not leak.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I also see the head dowels still in, has the deck been checked for true? May need a few thousandths of mild cleanup to be certain the head gasket does not leak.

True, a light cut off the top deck with a quick touch-up on the counter bores to get them to the right height would go a long way towards making this a good solid engine rebuild.

kb9tci

I plan on checking the deck after I give it a good clean to see how far out it is. I hadn't had an issue the last time i put a head gasket on, but it definitely would not hurt to look!!

I plan on putting all new bearings in the block. They were not in bad shape, but I am this far into it, so it looks like it is going to get a major.

kb9tci

09e4aa20f526c325959e55eb1855a8fb.jpg
21aa0e4c360e5e38f4602351be0c0820.jpg

I don't think I could work on this thing any slower but I'm finally getting to clean the block up and getting ready to put some new bearings in it. I have went through all of my parts and I think I have everything except somehow I am missing a set of main bearings.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Block looks decent! should have it running in no time.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
That there is creative use of a light duty engine stand!

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
I had to bring my base plate up to 1 inch thick and replace the arms with 1.5x1.5 solid bar to hold up a packard engine.

Dapperdan16

just read this thread from the beginning, what persistence kb9tci, it will all pay off in the end. I am in the middle of replacing the rear main seal in a Cat 225 excavator with the 3304, it's my first excavator and has been fun working on it. goodluck with everything, house included

avanfarm

Occupation
Farmer
Hats off to you kb9tci. You've inspired me to get a plan of attack on my 955k tensioner spring repair. Thanks for doc/posting, and thanks to those that share their knowledge and experience as well.

kb9tci

just read this thread from the beginning, what persistence kb9tci, it will all pay off in the end. I am in the middle of replacing the rear main seal in a Cat 225 excavator with the 3304, it's my first excavator and has been fun working on it. goodluck with everything, house included

Hats off to you kb9tci. You've inspired me to get a plan of attack on my 955k tensioner spring repair. Thanks for doc/posting, and thanks to those that share their knowledge and experience as well.

Maybe sometime soon I'll actually finish this project!! Thanks for the kind words!

kb9tci

This has been the slowest going project that I think I have ever had!

I have been keeping at it in very stretched out spurts. I got going on it again with the block to find out I had to take it back down and send it to the machine shop again, as there was a mess-up with the line boring...

After a good re-bore, I got the bearings pushed in everywhere after making a few homemade driver tools. I ended up having the rods checked while I was at it, just to make sure. All has been looking good, with the biggest pain of just finding everything back! A late evening here and there is about all I have been able to put into this, but it is getting annoyingly close! We got the motor sat back in the cradle, with the help of a gantry and a couple hoists to slip it under the loader arms with the radiator still installed.

We just placed the head back on last night, timed the pump, installed cover plates and started routing lines, so the next steps it to check alignment of the engine.

Maybe it will be done by Christmas?!?

doz.jpg

kb9tci

Well, how long has it been? Three years and some change?!?

A few years, a new house, another child, and a few more projects later, I FINALLY HAVE IT RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

doz.jpg doz2.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
And I see you also have one of those Ulrich nine million pound useless buckets as I do!! I still have to wonder why they made such a convoluted piece of architecture as these!

Good to see is up and functional regardless the shovel on it!
My Ulrich is currently collecting dust.
IMG_2072a.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I know how life can get in the way of projects! Probably took me close to five years to assemble a little motorcycle engine.:eek:
But when they are finally done and are running it does feel good.

kb9tci

And I see you also have one of those Ulrich nine million pound useless buckets as I do!! I still have to wonder why they made such a convoluted piece of architecture as these!

Good to see is up and functional regardless the shovel on it!
My Ulrich is currently collecting dust.
View attachment 174958
Yes, that dang thing... I am not in love with it at all. The capacity is quite unimpressive for the size. It is nice for brush clearing though. If I could find a GP bucket, I would love to have one!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I would make that a priority, will take a lot of wear off the undercarriage!! Might check with Chartrand if have a repairable or just a available for that machine. Can always add a grapple later using the feed lines. I was astonished how much HP I lost just having the heavy bustard on mine. I now know of Three of these and two are now removed from the machines(third is in CA was on another 7G Allis)