• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 955L Oil Drain

Nick323

I am brand new to heavy equipment. I have a CAT 955L s/n 85J7605. I am wanting to change the engine oil. Where is the drain located?

sergioannis

Ciao nella parte anteriore in basso. C'è una piastra con bulloni, lasciala cadere e sotto troverai un tappo dell'olio.

Welder Dave

There is a cover plate on the belly pan that needs to be removed to get at the drain plug. Just make sure you see the oil pan. I believe it's the furthest forward cover plate. One further back is for the transmission I believe.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
I don't know just how yours is, but they can be heavy. I have one on a hinges and if you go to far it drops. I have a 4 bolter that I put a longer bolt in one corner then just swing it to the side.
Best of Luck

Dave Neubert

Like Bluox said look for a hole on the side use a long extension and a 9/16 socket you can get to it from up top if side panels are removed and bucket is up should be on the left side

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I am brand new to heavy equipment. I have a CAT 955L s/n 85J7605.
Might I suggest that an Operation & Maintenance Manual would be a good investment.?
It appears that for your specific machine Serial Number two manuals are required.
SEBU6250 covers maintenance and can be downloaded from Cat Publications for $28.
SEBU5511 covers controls & operation and is the same price - $28.

Attached the parts manual listing for the crankccase guard for your machine. It may be of some help to you.

Attachments

• Crankcase Guard.pdf
    181.7 KB · Views: 12

AllDodge

Mine is a 85J (3304 engine) and there is a plug out the side of the pan. I get to it from the side, think its from the right side

Doesn't pour straight out, get a bit messy but works.

Welder Dave

Sounds like the access to the drain plug may have changed over the years. My former neighbor had a later 955K and it had a plate on the bottom of the skid plate to remove. Thought the 955L would have been similar.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Is there suppose to be a pipe plug on the bottom of the valve?