• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 955k won’t start

d9gdon

Screenshot 2022-11-13 143621.jpg
I actually just put a primer pump back on it. Someone who owned it previously took the pump and lines off and plugged the holes. I may have some air trapped in it somewhere because it never really gets firm.
Pretty sure that's your issue.

You can unscrew the handle in place and the replaceable o-rings are on the stem.

If you don't have a parts book, you need one. You should be able to get any part you need from your local Cat dealer, but you need to have the part number for them because they can't look it up in their computer system more than likely.

Here's one on Ebay:

Plambert

Hi d9gdon,

The primer pump I put on it is brand new. I did notice when pulling out on handle the action isn’t as smooth as when pushing the handle in.

Plambert

Update: So after further digging into things it appeared the fuel rack was stuck in the off position. I took the injection pump and governor off as an assembly. Opened up the governor and and freed up the rack. The rack seems to be moving freely until it sits for a few days and then won’t move from the fuel off position unless I give the rack a little tap from the side that mounts to the accessory drive. Is the movement dependent on oil pressure and should expect normal operation when I reinstall the pump?

Any tips for getting the injection pump to line back up with the offset tang on the accessory driveshaft? I attempted to put it back on and wasn’t able to get them aligned. My next step is to set the engine to TDC and try again.

Attachments

• 4582D1FE-8027-43BE-81CE-A029BB22AB2E.jpeg
    4582D1FE-8027-43BE-81CE-A029BB22AB2E.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10