• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 955 L

Spyros33

Occupation
Mechanical engineer, machine operator
Hello everyone.
Started work again last week so my project is going a little slow now due to limited time.
Anyone have any info on the hydraulic pump on my machine? (Capacity, pressure port size) Serial number 64J6418

Spyros33

Occupation
Guy was asking too much for the ripper valve parts and after some thinking i desided to use a 6 way / 2 position solenoid operated diverter valve, so i can operate the ripper with the bucket dump/curl control.
IMG_20210119_223405.jpg
Will let you know how it goes

Spyros33

Occupation
Well, after looking at the spec's on the brochure i think you are right. I spoke with my supplier and he will bring me a bigger diverter valve, with 3/4 ports and rated flow 140 l/ min.
Hopefully this one will be less restraining

Thanks Dave!

Spyros33

Occupation
I know but this is the biggest i can go with my budget
I will use 1" hoses to equalise the narrow passage

Welder Dave

Bigger hoses won't compensate if the valve can't handle the flow. Flow is another 20 GPM more than the valve is rated for. I think you need to look for another option.

56wrench

if i remember correctly, cat may have used some bigger mechanically activated diverter valves operated with a lever/linkage. somebody on here may have more information but they may be hard to find

Spyros33

Occupation
Nige did send me the list of all the parts required and also did warn me that laying my hands on the actual parts could be difficult. And it is.

That is why i chose to go with a diverter valve.

I was originally looking for a diverter valve to install on the main supply and also use an extra double directional control valve to operate ripper and
Blade tilt (when installed).

But that was too expensive.

Next thought was to get a control valve with power beyond facillity, place it on the main pump supply, and connect the return to the loader control valve. But the control valve required would be at least 1 1/4 size, and that was also too expensive.

So option no 3 was to install a 6/2 diverter valve on the bucket controls.
I realise that there is a chance of oil overheating, but looking at the lines of the bucket cylinders it seems that the bucket curl Hard lines are 3/4 and bucket dump lines are even smaller, like 1/2.
So i am not sure if the diverter valve will cause much difference.
IMG_20210121_125623.jpg

Spyros33

Occupation
Found some brackets From my old jcb backhoe that i can use for blade lifting links.

Figured i should add some iron on them though;)
IMG_20210201_163730.jpg IMG_20210201_160342.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Admire the tenacity but the GPM L/M capacity of the diverter is the internal porting not the line restrictions. I would monitor the hydraulic temps really close to keep from cooking seals going with this unit.

Spyros33

Occupation
Hi folks! Long time no hear.
February was maintenance month in the fishfeed factory i work, and March is time for pruning my olive trees.
I managed to Steel some time and get some work done on the loader Last week and hopefully next week is transportation time
IMG_20210313_142335.jpg
Lift arms in place
IMG_20210313_142326.jpg
Welded some reinforcement plate to take some of the stress off the screws

IMG_20210313_142317.jpg
Modified an old cylinder to make the tilt operation

Spyros33

Occupation
IMG_20210318_140017.jpg Had to get new exhaust manifold because the old one was badly corroded and kept burning the gaskets
IMG_20210319_110037.jpg
Took radiator off and opened it up to clean it.
Glad i did so because it was full of leaves, mud and rust. Seems that previous owner was adding river water