• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 951c engine, oil in exhaust manifold

sergioannis

img_20210715_172942-jpg.242278
img_20210715_172658-jpg.242279
img_20210715_172647-jpg.242280

Ho misurato i cilindri. Diametro sotto la cresta 120,69mm Ho trovato un modo per rimuovere la piastra sottostante. I pistoni, le bielle, le boccole sono davvero in ottime condizioni. È probabile che abbiano rifatto il motore senza cambiare i cilindri. Tutto il resto è nuovo. Basta guardare la guarnizione della testata che è come nuova. Ho ordinato le nuove parti. Guide valvole, kit anelli. Posso riutilizzare la guarnizione della testata secondo voi?

Attachments

• IMG_20210715_172942.jpg
    IMG_20210715_172942.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20210715_172658.jpg
    IMG_20210715_172658.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20210715_172647.jpg
    IMG_20210715_172647.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 167

Bluox

[QUOTE="sergioannis, post: 984693, member: 75065
I would use a new head gasket.
Check the valve guides to see if they may be broken.
The liners show they were rusted a little when you started the engine.
Not seeing it I would guess the oil was coming threw the valve guides.
Bob​
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

56wrench

The cylinder sleeves should be removed and the outside checked for excessive pitting. If good, de-glaze the inside, replace the lower liner seal rings and re-install. Check the liner protrusion before removal and after re-installing. Use new piston rings and rod bearings although the old rod bearings MAY be re-useable. After all, you have gone this far so you might as well do it right. Maybe even check the main bearings too. If the pitting(rust marks) on the inside of the liners does not clean up after deglazing you will need new liners in my opinion if you want it to last a long time

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The cylinder sleeves should be removed and the outside checked for excessive pitting. If good, de-glaze the inside, replace the lower liner seal rings and re-install. Check the liner protrusion before removal and after re-installing.
Absolutely. If the antifreeze in the cooling system was not good there could be a lot of damage on the outside surface of the liners that could cause problems in the future.

Bluox

Absolutely. If the antifreeze in the cooling system was not good there could be a lot of damage on the outside surface of the liners that could cause problems in the future.
Is this bit of wisdom like the bad turbo and the busted piston?
Bob

Welder Dave

That's the problem with only seeing a picture and not having it in hand! From that angle I was thinking the top of the piston was eroded away.

Going back to see piston from top I can see the reliefs, but still looks a little rough around the outside diameter. Then again pictures can be deceiving!

View attachment 242210
If you tilt your head to the right about 15 deg's. it looks like a bears face/head on the piston.

Bluox

Bob. In the words of the great prophet. f**k off.
Is this the best you got?
I have a 12 year old grandson and he has better comebacks.
This is one of the draw backs of being a parrot when you regurgitate you have no idea if its a pearl of wisdom or a pile of steaming horse apples .
I can send you a hurt feelings report if you want and you can fill it out and turn it in to HR.
Bob​

tctractors

Just thought it worth the Verbs, on the Con Rods they are marked with an I to show the correct fitment with the I to the front of the engine, the cylinder liners should be clamped into the block and hight checked before any seals are fitted to them, the top flat seal (Filler Band) on the liner has to be soaked/dipped in engine oil and then fitted to the liner when installing them, always tap out all the head bolt holes in the cylinder block, don't be scared to fit a new suction screen to the oil pump as the mesh is very small and they are often pegged up, the head bolts are set to the lower torque than the spacer plate engines, I think it's 175 Ft Lbs (please Check) tctractors.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
sergioannis good job with the video! Your showing all the steps along your way. It should help plenty of folks see wat it takes to do the job on a 951 or if they're thinking of pulling apart a 3304.

sergioannis

Hello I wanted to remember, that in order to remove the underlying plate is only necessary to unscrew four bolts which hold the engine side, two on each side.
Then you have to disassemble the rubber biscuits. Not completely but only on one side (that of the converter) are 8 bolts.
At the front, unscrew 4 bolts from below (2 per side) that hold the engine to the frame.
You don't have to disconnect anything else. With a jack, lift the engine 2/3 centimeters from below to allow you to remove the bolts that are under the upright.
Time required for this operation 15 minutes

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
That would be 15 min. for you! If I could only keep up with you Guys from over the Pond! You, Chris, Spyros, and the Firm. I am What you say living Vicariously thru you Guys, and the guys back here in the States. Great to see these Loaders being put back in Shape!

sergioannis

Hi guys .
It took me 15 minutes.
They are 4 bolts, spanner 24.
Below there are about 10 bolts, wrench 14.
With the electric unscrewer it took me very little time.
It seemed like a challenge to lift the engine, but it is really easy.
Of course, considering, removing the underlying plate, oil, oil pan etc takes a long time.
I was just referring to disconnecting the bolts and removing the cookies to lift the engine a few inches.