• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 951-C in my sights

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Someone has added cheek sheets but that is a plus as far as I am concerned. Welds look good just look closer than I can for small end of run cracks that could eventually run. Cutting edge looks fine for age. I believe you've done well for the $$

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Going to need some prep work and a dab of Cat yellow paint now. Better yet, I will install the bucket and let about ten to twelve hours of dirt work take the majority of the rust off as part of the prep.

Yep, let the dirt work polish the parts that the paint will wear off when in the dirt. That will save a bit of paint that you know will be gone by the end of the first day anyhow!

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
I got about 9 hours on the new bucket now, it is really shining up good. I think the only part of the bucket that needs painting is what I can see of it from the seat.

I stashed the old crushed bucket in a safe out of the way place for future use, teeth etc.

Metalman 55

Are the pins pretty tight in the new bucket? On my 941 we had to build up the pin bosses with weld to take up some of the free play. Put 4 new aftermarket pins in the bucket at the same time. Much better now.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
I got the pins with the bucket and put them back in their original position, They are almost a press fit. had to tap in with a small balpine My old pins were worn but the bosses were in good shape. Much better cutting edges and teeth. I am pleased.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
track loader 001.jpg track loader 002.jpg track loader 003.jpg track loader 001.jpg track loader 003.jpg Got another five hours in on shining up the bucket today. Today's work is the first time that I have ever ran the loader in third gear. I have the working layout so that I am digging on one hill and transporting downhill and up the next rise to dump. I am running third gear forward down hill and shifting to 2nd and then to 1st to dump and grade, then reverse 3rd all the way back to the turn around to dig again. Moving a lot of dirt in a short time using that layout. It seems worth a little extra wear on the UC. The new bucket has paid it's way out already.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
That old loader looks awful little to move that hillside but it has already moved over half of it. Just like eating a bowl of cereal, one spoon full at a time until I break down, the machine breaks down, or the dirt is all gone. When the digging is done that is where my new building is going to be situated to house the five ton, trailer and jeep, amongst other toys.

Welder Dave

3rd gear in reverse is the worst for undercarriage wear and your tracks look pretty tight. The new bucket looks like you might be able to bolt wear strips between the teeth to almost eliminate cutting edge wear.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
The tight tracks are attributable to the clay buildup in the sprocket teeth.
the soil condition right now is just right to pack the teeth. I am maintaining a smooth running surface to transport the dirt to make each trip a smooth ride.

Yes those extra punched holes are for wear strips to be added between teeth. I am not sure that I need to invest in them. I will keep an eye on the wear and respond if need be.

Metalman 55

I have noticed on my old 941 that the tracks will go from tight to quite loose, depending on the soil/moisture conditions that I work in.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
If I adjust the tracks for packing of the hard clay and it rains I will be re adjusting for wet clay conditions. When it dries out to powder conditions it will make a big difference because packing won't be a factor at all.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
That old red clay is like a sponge, holds moisture a long time once wet but when dry is like concrete.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Yes those extra punched holes are for wear strips to be added between teeth. I am not sure that I need to invest in them.
They may be, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Judging by the bolt pattern of the holes I can see I would say that bucket is designed to have EITHER teeth OR a bolt-on cutting edge (or edges) installed. I'm not sure you could fit cutting edge protectors in between the teeth you have now using the bolt holes I can see in your photos.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Nitelite those holes are for reversible wear plates to go in between the teeth. I have them on my 953 and would highly suggest you invest in some as it takes the wear instead of the bucket edge. Look at aftermarket for your usage as Cat is expensive for those.

I've went through many sets on my 953 and the bucket edge is hardly worn with 5K hours on the clock. A plus is the plates are handy when worn out - square them up with a gas axe and they make great wear plates to weld on the bottom of buckets. I used some worn out ones when we beefed up our new skid steer bucket.

The worn plate is under the welders hammer. Welded that plate as a wear strip between the factory one and the D5G cutting edges on the edge and back of the bucket.

IMG_2446.JPG

It's hard to tell in the pic and I don't have a close up but here is my 953 with the edge protectors.

IMG_2593.JPG

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Been too wet around here to get much dirt work done. My contractor is about to start building on to the end of my house.

I am also having a three car garage built. There is an existing 14'x21' building sitting in the same place as the new garage is going. I tore off a side shed and am now in the process of getting the building ready to move. It is too good of a building to destroy.

I cut two tall straight 10" hickory trees and cut them 30" long. Shoved them under the building and cut two poles to go across the front and back of the building. I am using the 951-C to pick the building up and the ag tractor to push the poles under. I have a asphalt driveway and plan on pulling the building on the poles straight down the driveway.
I plan on picking up one end with the loader and just back up, dragging the building by chains hooked to the front of the poles.

The contractor is going to saw the asphalt and remove the first 21'. The loader has triple grousers, so it may, or may not damage the asphalt. I have that first 21' to experiment with. If the loader destroys the asphalt I will use the 5 ton military truck with the winch and just winch the building down the driveway. If I have to, I have several electric poles that I can use as rollers under the poles. I'll get pictures of the move tomorrow if I don't forget.

OL2STROKER

Killer thread I'm glad I found it. Nitelite you're an inspiration to us all, and the knowledge here is really making we want to dump this Komatsu and buy a Cat. Yall are awesome.