• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 951-C in my sights

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
No progress to report on yet. I have been looking for a used bucket that is in good shape. So far I have only found one but they want the price of half of a machine for it.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Main reason I rebuilt the GP off my donor. My MP was too danged heavy actually awkward while the donor bucket came 90% intact but worn slick. Had looked at buying a used FA corporate pattern loader bucket to make work on mine and not deal with the worn out piece I had but numbers crunched it was the only route I could take.

I had almost $700 in steel plate, basically cut to pattern then over a hundred pounds of 7018 1/8" DC rod. A little less than 30 lbs. in 3/32" tack and root pass rod. Lots of 4 1/2" angle grinder flap wheels and cut off wheels. Had to refill the gas axe tanks twice to get the cuts/scrubs made I needed it for. Used two new and finished out one 8" ferrous metal saw blade (I have a Milwaukee metal cold saw). Most shops have capacity to punch teeth shank bolt holes for you saving drill and Armstrong time.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
They want $2800.00 for the used bucket. The bucket is not far from me, not over 50 miles. The business that contacted me and said that they found a bucket evidently does not own the bucket yet. They refuse to tell me where it is located so I can't go inspect it. They sent pictures but I can't tell about cracks, wear or anything else from the pictures. I will look some more.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
At $2800 they allow inspection or tell them pack it. No see no buy as that is steep for a used component and no idea as to status. Still cheaper to repair your own just time consuming.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I did a search on Machinery Trader, came up with a 5V4664 GP bucket p/n. Only one in the general listings under attachments for a WHOPPING $4600, looked to be a takeoff rather than a salvage as almost new appearing but no teeth. Way high for my pockets. Maybe try Rock and Dirt search or one of the other sites with parts contacts.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Not sure if this will be of any use but too the P/N Nitelite posted and ran it through Cat's NPR search. As could be expected it comes back "Discontinued" but does show the S/N ranges of machines that used that same part number bucket.

I believe when it shows a 0000 in the last column that means "To the last S/N built"

bucket.png

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Thanks for looking Ken. My loader is a 86J2188.
Interesting as NPR says the 6K0906 bucket was only used up to the 86J1991 S/N so looks like yours might not have it's original bucket!

For your S/N I'm seeing bucket # 8K6453 and when I stick that into NPR a different P/N shows up 6K0971 and that one says "loose material" which makes me think it is a lighter duty bucket.

Not sure if it will help but here's the NPR page:
8K6453.png

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Went back thru your post NL, found a side view of your machine when digging the drain line trough. When I looked along the bucket line appears there is a seam as if the bottom had been replaced prior. May be able to brace the side panels across the bucket and cut away that entire sheet weld in a replacement. May be the easiest on the wallet. Will need the teeth off yours, then order a cutting edge replacement with new teeth shank bolts and have the steel shop stamp out the bolt holes to match. From that point is just a lot of grind, 7018 and dress off time.

Looked to see configuration if same as Great Lakes has, look almost similar but not either.

Easy way to align the bottom sheet to the back wall is to set and weld some 'helper' small plates three or four top and same but staggered bottom then align the sheet between them until tacked into place, Wish I lived close enough to come help or make the offer to build for you.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
I have the bucket with a welder for now to get some idea of a price. As the bucket was heaped when the weld broke it pretty well destroyed the bucket. I agree that everything is fixable but some things are just more trouble than it is worth. Still seeking a used replacement at a decent price at this time. Too hot to get much work done right now anyway.