• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 950G float feature problem

Oldboy

Occupation
Farming and machinery sales
We have recently bought an older 950G loader 5MW series.
It appears to have the bucket float feature; push the boom lift lever forward and it "floats" the bucket.
The problem is it won't automatically stay in this position; there appears to be no detention feel in the lever when you push it to the forward position so it won't lock in.

The "bucket level" detention doesn't work either on the bucket crowd lever.. same thing there is no detention feeling to the lever either.
My question is do we have an issue with the valve, perhaps a broken spring etc, or should these systems be operated in conjunction with one of the myriad of buttons around the cabin. it even has a pink coloured lever near the floor which appears cut the hydraulics when in raised position... possibly a safety item. I've ordered the operators hand book but it wont be here for about 2 weeks !
I appreciate your help.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I'm assuming that the bucket does float correctly so long as you keep the lever pushed forward. Correct..?

Both the detents you refer to are each held place in by a solenoid which is tripped by a magnet passing a sensor on the linkage in the case of the bucket leveller. Maybe you need to be looking at a power (or lack of it) issue..?

If you want an Electrical Schematic so that you can troubleshoot it send me a PM with the machine S/N and your email address.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Nige, is the boom lift float function actually a "Return to dig" thing?
No, this machine's not electronic and too early for that type of complexity. The return to dig is aka the "bucket positioner" and works on the tilt lever. All it does it cut power to the coil when the magnet passes the linkage sensor out on the front end and pops the tilt lever back to neutral.

When it's in the float function the lift lever is held in place by the coil when you push the it forward and then you have to pull it back to neutral to get in out of float.

Oxbow

There should be an option to kick out the boom when lifting at a pre set height that works similarly to the bucket level function. This is used, as an example, to kick the bucket lift out at a pre-determined height like feeding a crusher, or loading trucks. Does your machine have a joystick, or individual (two stick) controls? I believe both options were available.

I can't help in regard to why they may not be working, just trying to explain the options.

lantraxco

There should be an option to kick out the boom when lifting at a pre set height that works similarly to the bucket level function. This is used, as an example, to kick the bucket lift out at a pre-determined height like feeding a crusher, or loading trucks. Does your machine have a joystick, or individual (two stick) controls? I believe both options were available.

I can't help in regard to why they may not be working, just trying to explain the options.

Right, that's what I vaguely remember from I think a 980C I used to work on. Whenever the regular operator went on vacation in this pit you could figure on having to replace both switches and repair the mounts as the temp operator would always do some kind of damage, lol... You always tried to avoid getting the service calls the first week after the guy came back from vacation, the whining was something awful!

Oldboy

Occupation
Right, that's what I vaguely remember from I think a 980C I used to work on. Whenever the regular operator went on vacation in this pit you could figure on having to replace both switches and repair the mounts as the temp operator would always do some kind of damage, lol... You always tried to avoid getting the service calls the first week after the guy came back from vacation, the whining was something awful!

Shes a very simple old 2 stick unit; inner one for bucket crowd and outer to lift boom.

Oxbow

The old days of just hopping in a loader, any loader, and going to work are past us a bit. Most of the newer loaders that I have been in have similar switches to perform similar tasks, but deciphering the symbols can be a bit of a puzzle. The basics are there though:

1 A switch to turn on/off automatic switch mode.
2 A switch to determine which gear to start in, and the shifter set at the highest gear desired.
3 A switch to determine shift RPM's.
4 A switch to set bucket for auto level.
5 A switch to set boom height kick out.
6 A switch to turn on/off ride control.
7 A switch to define ride control characteristics (automatic/on/off).
8 Sometimes there is a switch to determine if the brake pedals declutch the transmission, where as the left brake pedal used to declutch and the right brake pedal did not, which often led to driving with both feet on the right side of the steering column.

Then, you can change directions by either using the standard lever on the left side of steering column, or the forward/reverse switch nest to the bucket controls, unless it is a Liebehr, and then the appendage on the left side of the steering column is not a shifter but something to do with the lights (if memory serves).

It's pretty standard to have a gear kick down button in the vicinity of the bucket controls/joystick.

I'm sure that I am forgetting some.

I leased a 966K last year that had joystick steering. I thought I was going to hate it, but I really loved it in the pit....but going down a narrow road after hitting a bump almost put me in the river (note to self, SLOW DOWN).

I only run a loader occasionally anymore, but I find that it pays to take a look at the operators manual in order to figure out how everything works. Nothing worse that running one for a week and stumbling across some feature and saying to oneself "that would have been handy to know about a week ago".:tong

Oldboy

Occupation
The old days of just hopping in a loader, any loader, and going to work are past us a bit. Most of the newer loaders that I have been in have similar switches to perform similar tasks, but deciphering the symbols can be a bit of a puzzle. The basics are there though:

1 A switch to turn on/off automatic switch mode.
2 A switch to determine which gear to start in, and the shifter set at the highest gear desired.
3 A switch to determine shift RPM's.
4 A switch to set bucket for auto level.
5 A switch to set boom height kick out.
6 A switch to turn on/off ride control.
7 A switch to define ride control characteristics (automatic/on/off).
8 Sometimes there is a switch to determine if the brake pedals declutch the transmission, where as the left brake pedal used to declutch and the right brake pedal did not, which often led to driving with both feet on the right side of the steering column.

Then, you can change directions by either using the standard lever on the left side of steering column, or the forward/reverse switch nest to the bucket controls, unless it is a Liebehr, and then the appendage on the left side of the steering column is not a shifter but something to do with the lights (if memory serves).

It's pretty standard to have a gear kick down button in the vicinity of the bucket controls/joystick.

I'm sure that I am forgetting some.

I leased a 966K last year that had joystick steering. I thought I was going to hate it, but I really loved it in the pit....but going down a narrow road after hitting a bump almost put me in the river (note to self, SLOW DOWN).

I only run a loader occasionally anymore, but I find that it pays to take a look at the operators manual in order to figure out how everything works. Nothing worse that running one for a week and stumbling across some feature and saying to oneself "that would have been handy to know about a week ago".:tong

Thanks for your help; we are working our way through it and hopefully get a result. 100% right on the operators manual, we have ordered one, a couple of weeks to get here, but it will make life easier.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry

Gee I thought that was a problem at our quarry alone. When ever the the guy running the 980K took a day off there would be nothing but tears from the "regular" operator would have all kinds of problems with the scales. Claimed the "stand-in" operator made all kinds of changes to the scales. One load would be a ton high and the next one might be a ton low.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
There is also a switch that is activated by that pink lever by the floor. It will cut out the detents if the lever isn't completely down or pushing the ball on the switch. I have also seen the wires break at this switch.

Oldboy

Occupation
Thanks everyone, got the problem sorted and things are working like they should do. We found a dodgy fuse connection/ fixed it and the lever locks forward just like was always meant to. Now onto the next problem.