• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 950F II error codes

becong

Thank you sir Nige, have done erasing all error code and also checking fuel line for any possible restriction flows of fuel, fuel pressure regulator check. start up the unit and operate short time and found no error pop up in monitor but still have the engine goes up to 1500 rpm during loading the bucket. if no load rpm achieve to 2200 rpm. What could be possible cause of under power. Unit S/N J5J01092 Thanks

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
OK so on the face of it the problem does not appear to be a Diagnostic Code causing the issue.

Do a couple of tests and post the results:-
1. With the bucket on the ground and the service brake fully applied using the right pedal, engage the loader in 3rd speed forward. Then accelerate to full throttle. Record the maximum RPM of the engine. WARNING - THE MACHINE MAY MOVE if the braking system is not 100% efficient.
2. Tilt the bucket right back to the stops with the engine at idling speed. When the bucket touches the stops press the accelerator while holding the tilt lever in the "Tilt Back" position. Record the maximum engine RPM.
3. With the bucket on the ground and the engine idling push the bucket lift control to the Lower position. This will raise the front wheels off the ground. When the lift cylinders are fully contracted accelerate the engine to maximum while holding the control in the "Lower" position. Record the maximum engine RPM.
4. If you can do it, repeat Tests 1 & 2 together and record the maximum engine RPM. (I can tell you now that will be lower than for Test 1 alone).

becong

Ok sir will do it as you instructed and will report to you in a coming days later. Thank you very much for walking me in on this problem.

Nige

Also when you perform the tests make sure to observe the quantity and colour of the smoke coming out of the exhaust.

While I think about it you could temporarily remove the air filter elements while you perform the tests. Just make sure to put them back afterwards..!!

becong

Good Day Sir,
Result of the following test. Please note idle 800 rpm
Refer to:
Step 1: 1900 rpm
Step 2: 2300 rpm
Step 3: 2200 rpm
Step 4: 1500 rpm
Sir, this are the result of all the test, and observation of the smoke out of the stack are visible black smoke but not heavy. also during acceleration the response is quite late mean not abrupt response when accelerating. Hopefully this will be helpful information referring my problem. Thanks

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Have you changed the inner and outer air filter since being in flood?

Nige

You should have had (almost) no black smoke at all when accelerating the engine to make those tests, except when you initially floor the throttle maybe just a small puff of dark smoke. Otherwise the exhaust should appear like pure hot air coming out of the pipe.

Did you temporarily remove the air filters to perform the tests as I suggested.? Or did you leave them in place.? If you did not remove them then try doing just that. Run the tests again and compare the results to the first time.

Either way, based on the results that you posted your engine RPM (and therefore power) appears to be low.
Test 1 you should be looking for 2185 ± 65 rpm. Your actual figure was only 1900, so you are down by almost 300 RPM compared to the specification.

You mentioned in Post #18 on Page 1 about the engine ECM being changed temporarily by the dealer for diagnostic purposes. Does the engine have the original ECM installed back in it now..?

Last edited:

becong

Yes sir, i do removed the air element before conducting the test as you instructed, all fuel filter had been changed also before the test and the original ECM was installed back. thanks

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
You will need to check fuel pressure and boost pressure next.
You could also inspect the turbo for wheel or housing damage or interference.

Nige

I never asked you before to check what is the High Idle speed of the engine with no load. It should be 2350 RPM. Please check and let us know. I suspect it will be OK because you achieved 2300 RPM in hydraulic stall in Test Step 2 above, but just ticking the box.

As a last throw of the dice regarding the possibility of it being something simple, I would suggest to drain some fuel from the bottom of the fuel tank just to make sure that there is no water or sediment left in the tank. (You should be doing this as a maintenance task about once a month anyway.) I have no idea what was done to clean it after the loader was submerged in water as per your earlier posts.
Remove the plug #1 and loosen the bolt #2. Allow fuel to drain until is comes out clean. Depending on how much you find in the tank you may have to consider completely removing the tank and cleaning it internally.

upload_2020-1-14_9-46-44.png

Once you establish that the tank is completely clean, I would remove all the flexible fuel lines (e.g. #26) between the fuel tank and the engine and blow out each one with compressed air. Also remove every hose connection (elbows, etc.) such as #9 on the illustration below and blow them out one by one to make sure nothing is impeding the flow of fuel.
upload_2020-1-14_10-1-0.png

If that produces negative results then you are into testing fuel pressure and turbocharger boost as suggested by Mobiltech in post #31 above.

becong

Good day sir, before i made this post we already cleaned out all possible dirt and water in all the fuel system lines including, replacing filters and etc. While testing the rpm on high idle speed we achieve 2200-2300 which is marginal to the specs. the only problem while scooping the gravel it has only 1500-1600 rpm in full load. I was not paying attention of the wastegate if it was functioning during operation i will check it sometime today. thanks
One more question sir, are any strainer along the fuel lines from secondary fuel filter before going to injectors. thanks

becong

You will need to check fuel pressure and boost pressure next.
You could also inspect the turbo for wheel or housing damage or interference.
To make myself clear sir, you mean turbo boost pressure and fuel pressure can you throw me some specs what i'm suppose to get? thanks

Nige

Good day sir, before i made this post we already cleaned out all possible dirt and water in all the fuel system lines including, replacing filters and etc.
I understand what you're saying, and it may be only a remote chance but did you remove EVERY pipe fitting, elbow, etc, etc, in addition to the fuel supply/return hoses just to make sure that none of them was obstructed.? For example, did you completely disassemble the head assembly of the secondary fuel filter, or remove the injectors and clean out the fuel passages in the cylinder head.? What complicates everything in this particular machine is the fact that it was flooded, and it is essential to remove even the remotest possibility that water or anything else got to places that it shouldn't have got into.
One more question sir, are any strainer along the fuel lines from secondary fuel filter before going to injectors. thanks
There is nothing mentioned, and it is not usual on this type of system. If you cannot see anything then I would think that there isn't one.

Turbo boost is quoted as 22.5 psi @ Full Load RPM, which is 1800. If you stall the torque converter as per the test in Step 1 (where you got 1900) above that should be close enough to get a reasonably accurate reading of boost pressure.

Fuel pressure - with the torque converter stalled as above - 58-76psi
At Low Idle - 58-64psi.
If you can measure unfiltered and filtered fuel pressure, the pressure drop across the secondary fuel filter should be in the region of 5psi with a new element installed.
Port #1 is unfiltered fuel. Port #2 is filtered fuel.
upload_2020-1-15_6-16-37.png

becong

Thank you sir, i will physically check the boost pressure and fuel pressure respectively, and also will do the filters head and fitting to make sure its clean and possible pulling out injector as will to check passages, will back to you to report any finding. thanks