• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 950F II error codes

Newguy

Occupation
shipping-machinery
Hi everyone,

I have a 1997 CAT 950F II loader with a bunch of error codes on the dash, i think i know the reason for few of them but is there a way to find out what they are and to clear them manually without the need to visit to the local CAT dealer?
I also have another issue which is when i raise the boom for the first time in the day it drops down two feet and stops immediately no matter how high i raise it once i let go of the raising lever it drops then stops right away and it does it only once, i was told on my old post that it has something to do with the ride control system which in reality i don't see the point of it when iam operating the machine, but i turned the ride control switch off but nothing changed, could that be a faulty relief valve somewhere?
Iam also looking for the injectors timing adjustment tooling.. anyone?

A super B-train load of thanks! :)

Newguy

Occupation
shipping-machinery
a serial number would help
can you list the codes that are displayed
Mark

Hi Mark,
The S/N: 5SK02577, and here are the codes:

1- 096F03
2- 110F08
3- 177F04
4- 248F02
5- 324F05
6- 600F04
7- 819F02
8- 821F04
9- 081
10- 621F02
11- 680F02
12- 617F05
13- 668F02
14- 168F00
15- 168F01

Just to explain i was rebuilding the cabin on this machine and i ran it few times with a bad alternator and the transmission was not shifting, and few other times with the instrument cluster removed, i thought this might be related to some of the codes.

Thanks.

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
hi, when you scroll through the codes do any of them display (SERV CODE) in the upper right hang corner. they will be active codes if present
and yes you can clear the codes with out a visit from the dealer if you need the procedure just ask
96 fuel level sender
110 engine temp sensor
177 trans temp sensor
248 data link
324 action lamp
600 hyd temp sensor
819 display data link
821 display power supply
621 down shift switch
680 ride control switch
617 air inlet heater relay
668 shift handle
168 electrical system voltage
all these are fairly typical of disconnected circuits or low system voltage

Last edited:

Newguy

Occupation
shipping-machinery
hi, when you scroll through the codes do any of them display (SERV CODE) in the upper right hang corner. they will be active codes if present
and yes you can clear the codes with out a visit from the dealer if you need the procedure just ask
96 fuel level sender
110 engine temp sensor
177 trans temp sensor
248 data link
324 action lamp
600 hyd temp sensor
819 display data link
821 display power supply
621 down shift switch
680 ride control switch
617 air inlet heater relay
668 shift handle
168 electrical system voltage
all these are fairly typical of disconnected circuits or low system voltage

Hi Mark, thanks for the info, by looking at the break down of the codes almost all of them are related to the repairs i did on the machine back in the day, i also looked at the dash and there's a " SERV CODE" where you said it might be, but i want to mention that the codes are not appearing at the moment, the SERV CODE is just present on the corner above the meter reading, the codes i mentioned i recorded them last year and iam not sure if they started flashing as i connected the instrument cluster or they appeared after i indued them in some sort of way, so at the moment there are no codes flashing and the machine is running perfectly fine, though i feel it's a little not as responsive as i think it should and this is why iam looking for the Injector timing tooling.
Please supply the procedure to clear the codes.
Thank you

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
hi here is procedure to clear codes you can only do this when the code is displayed and not actgive
descrfiption.png footnote.png modes.png scroll box.png
you don't have to go to the trouble of making a scroll box but is very handy as you can do other stuff as well
just use some jumper wires
usually under the dash there will be either a 4 pin sure seal connector or a four pin deutch connecter this is the service connecter that you use for this process
Mark

Newguy

Occupation
shipping-machinery
Thank you very much for the procedure, i will try to get on it sometime this coming week and i will revert with the results.

becong

Hi! i need your help
I had this problem few weeks now and i can figure out what was wrong. This unit when on still the RPM reach 2200 only and when you get this thing to work in load the RPM will go down to 1500 and no power. Please need your help. Thanks
More info: I am not sure if this code are active
Please can give me the meaning of this error code
Thanks

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Hi! i need your help
I had this problem few weeks now and i can figure out what was wrong. This unit when on still the RPM reach 2200 only and when you get this thing to work in load the RPM will go down to 1500 and no power. Please need your help. Thanks
More info: I am not sure if this code are active
Please can give me the meaning of this error code
Thanks

As Mark250 said above "when you scroll through the codes do any of them display (SERV CODE) in the upper right hand corner. they will be active codes if present"?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
As Mark250 said above "when you scroll through the codes do any of them display (SERV CODE) in the upper right hand corner. they will be active codes if present"?
Also please post the machine Serial Number.........

I think I know what might be wrong with your machine but I'll wait to see what model it is before I comment further.

Last edited:

becong

Thank you for hearing me sir,
this is the only number I've got Model 950H CAT 0950HHJO1092, hope this the correct one your looking for.
Thank you

becong

Also please post the machine Serial Number.........

I think I know what might be wrong with your machine but I'll wait to see what model it is before I comment further.
Thank you for hearing me sir,
this is the only number I've got Model 950H CAT 0950HHJO1092, hope this the correct one your looking for.
Thank you

Nige

I have one more question. Which of those Diagnostic Codes are Active.? In other words when you scroll through the codes which ones does the SERV CODE icon (see below) light up..?
Any of the Codes where SERV CODE does not light up are Logged. They should be cleared at some point but they will not affect the performance of the machine.

upload_2019-12-21_14-14-39.png

Last edited:

Nige

The Codes you posted above are all (except one) an indication that there is a communication issue between the ECMs for the Power Train and the Implement System, and also between those two ECM's and the Monitor System.

Has this machine had any major repair done to it recently - one that would require (for example) the transmission to be removed.?

Nige

The one exception to what I wrote above is for the left pedal (neutralizer) position sensor.
Please check the Code. In your original list you said it was "737.13".
Did you by any chance mean 737.03..? That would make more sense.
Also is the Code Active.?

becong

The Codes you posted above are all (except one) an indication that there is a communication issue between the ECMs for the Power Train and the Implement System, and also between those two ECM's and the Monitor System.

Has this machine had any major repair done to it recently - one that would require (for example) the transmission to be removed.?

Yes sir, dealer works on replacing engine ECM, and also replacing one joystick for the boom arm. probably this error was not been cleared off the system.
When i try to scroll in the monitor those error code that i posted has no serv code flash on in the right corner display all of them sir.

becong

More info sir, this unit was submerged half way in the flood and did have the problem of loss power as i mentioned. the dealer did was trial and error to find the caused, replaced the engine ECM with a loaner to prove that is not faulty and the original ECM was fine, so it was installed back, and some of the engine sensors were changed except speed sensor.

Nige

OK, all good information. "Water in the works" is not good though.............

First I suggest that you attempt to clear all the Codes. If they are Logged as you say (no SERV CODE icon for any of them) then clearing them should not be a problem.

Go to this thread and read posts 50-52. This will walk you through the process of how to clear Codes with nothing more than two short pieces of automotive wire and three Deutsch terminal sockets. https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/the-famous-cat-click-box.72956/page-3

Get all the Codes cleared if you possibly can and then report back. This one could take a while because the diagnostics will need to be attacked in a very methodical way.

becong

Thank you sir, i will try to make my scroll box and will go thru the procedure and i will report you back.
And i will also check if the code listed is 737.13 or 737.03 i confirm this as will. thank you sir.