• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 941b resurrection/ Under carriage

charles walton

I also need to check the final drive out and replace the duo-cone seals on this final drive while the track is off. Does anyone know an affordable way to get the sprocket off? I would like to inspect the gears and bearings my self and then take it to a shop with the new seals and any parts,if I need any, and get it reassembled and the sprocket pressed on to spec.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Best of Luck Charles. Thanks for the Excellent Pics! Nice to see your progress. Post some more when you open up that Finial Drive.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
I could maybe help when you start opening it up. Hopefully someone that's done it before pops up. Do you have access to the parts manual? Porta-power or large jack? Torch with large rose bud?

charles walton

I could maybe help when you start opening it up. Hopefully someone that's done it before pops up. Do you have access to the parts manual? Porta-power or large jack? Torch with large rose bud?
I have a parts book and a service manual,a 20 ton air over hydraulic jack. I don't have a portapower. I have done this before years ago but I had the correct tooling via a friend that worked for Cat back before they put GPS on the service trucks. I'm planning on blocking up high enough to roll the frame out this evening and then I will start opening it up.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
I'm guessing, but a 20 ton should work. Well lets say it's worth a try, if it hooks up easy enough. With heat from a 3/4" or better rose bud I'd say it'll work if you pour on the heat fast enough. If the hubs real beefy it maybe on the light side. We once pulled a big hub 5" shaft 7" of engagement. 20 ton w/torch nothing, 35 ton maxed out before we started using 2 rose buds wide open. I made the adapters so nothing fell apart when that first Pop Hit! I warned them what going to happen, but I had to Yell Pump! Pump! get those Torches back on!... must of been fun to watch. The assembly was hooked to an overhead trolley 300lb hub 50lb pulling set up. It was a 2 speed porta power. The fit .003 interference/shrink. It went back on at .001.
Anyhow, how tall is the pump? How heavy is it? Can you screw or bolt any adapters to it? Maybe just take a picture. Do you remember the rating of the Cat puller?
If you look at a cutaway of the sprocket and shaft assembly in the parts book. Does the shaft have a taper where it connects with the sprocket?

Last edited:

charles walton

I'm guessing, but a 20 ton should work. How tall is it? How heavy is it? Can you screw or bolt any adapters to it? Maybe just take a picture. If you look at a cutaway of the sprocket and shaft assembly in the parts book. Does the shaft have a taper where it connects with the sprocket?
The hub is splined and tapered and the sprocket is splined and is pressed on the hub. Must be pulled off and then pressed back on.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Taper is great once it moves just a little its free. Splines no surprise, hopefully they aren't rust welded together. Can you use heat when you pull?

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Yes, I can heat it. There should be no rust. I just don't know how to pull it with a jack.

Heat is really a friend when trying to get things apart. I have a friend that uses a very large propane tank to heat things up because its a lot cheaper. One of these days I want to see if I can use a tank the size for outdoor grills to heat with.
Charles post a picture of the jack and lets see if it could be practical to use it.

charles walton

Yes, I can heat it. There should be no rust. I just don't know how to pull it with a jack.

Heat is really a friend when trying to get things apart. I have a friend that uses a very large propane tank to heat things up because its a lot cheaper. One of these days I want to see if I can use a tank the size for outdoor grills to heat with.
Charles post a picture of the jack and lets see if it could be practical to use it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210518_203104968.jpg
    IMG_20210518_203104968.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 60