• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 941b Bevel gear backlash setting

tctractors

you would be pushing your luck some to get this but I can tell you what I have found, I will say first that I have all the tools so can get a good standard established easily, firstly you need to make a C spanner to fit the adjusters and it needs to be thin possibly 6 to 8mm, then you need to set a pre-load on the cross shaft bearings with lots of pinion to bevel gear lash, then adjust the pre-load in by undoing the 1 adjuster 1 or 2 notches and doing up the other adjuster 1 or 2 notches until the lash tightens to zero lash with the pre-load still maintained as in the start, then undo and do up the adjusters 1 notch to find lash and that will be about the correct standard, check this setting around the bevel to make sure this stays similar, if all good then tighten the cap down on the opposite side to the bevel gear first, job done.

charles walton

you would be pushing your luck some to get this but I can tell you what I have found, I will say first that I have all the tools so can get a good standard established easily, firstly you need to make a C spanner to fit the adjusters and it needs to be thin possibly 6 to 8mm, then you need to set a pre-load on the cross shaft bearings with lots of pinion to bevel gear lash, then adjust the pre-load in by undoing the 1 adjuster 1 or 2 notches and doing up the other adjuster 1 or 2 notches until the lash tightens to zero lash with the pre-load still maintained as in the start, then undo and do up the adjusters 1 notch to find lash and that will be about the correct standard, check this setting around the bevel to make sure this stays similar, if all good then tighten the cap down on the opposite side to the bevel gear first, job done.
Thanks, I’ll take my time and maybe I can figure it out like that.