1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Cat 938G rough shifting transmission

Discussion in 'Wheel Loaders' started by Jonathan Wurz, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    Replacement pump time I think, or repair your existing pump. There appears to be a Reman offering Part Number 20R-6494 available. Price parts vs Reman maybe.?

2. Jonathan Wurz

Jonathan Wurz Well-Known Member

The price for reman is $1130 and the parts I've got now are $660 but there are only two bushings. I'm not sure if the other two are the same or if it's a different P/N that I can't find.

upload_2023-1-24_13-30-3.png

3. Jonathan Wurz

4. Nige

Nige Senior Member

If you are looking at the 6Y-4614 Pump Gp there should be a total of 4 x 3T-2094 Bushing, 2 in each half of the case.
    Two bushings are listed as being part of the 6Y-4615 Body, and the other two as part of the 6Y-4621 Cover.

What you have listed above is fine provide that the Body and Cover are both in good condition and with no wear or damage. Try pricing the pair of them, worst case scenario, and see where that leads. Remember that the Body and Cover already include the bushes you you won't have to price them twice.

5. Jonathan Wurz

upload_2023-1-24_15-42-22.png
    So now I can buy 1 for the price of 2

6. Jonathan Wurz

upload_2023-1-24_15-50-25.png

So these are the specs from my service manual, but I can't find anything for clearance between the gear teeth and the pump body. Is this something that never wears enough to check?

7. Nige

Nige Senior Member

If either the gears or the pump body is worn it ought to be immediately obvious because the surfaces of both will resemble a ploughed field.
    Question: If you decide to replace the 4 bearings are you sure that you have the necessary tooling to do the job.? If the new ones are not correctly installed you could be in for a seized pump rather rapidly.

8. Jonathan Wurz

The pump body and the gears don't seem to have any wear that I can see without using a micrometer to check clearences.
    I'm not sure which tools I would need to install the bushings. My plan was to turn an oversize shaft down to size with my lathe to fit in the bushing and leave a shoulder at the top. I can then use this tool to press the bushing in with a hydraulic press. I am sure I have the tools to measure how far I need to press them into the pump.
    I might be missing something, but I can't see any other tools I would need to install them.
    I'm not quite sure how to get the old ones out though.

9. Nige

Nige Senior Member

TBH I'd just throw a Reman pump into it and have done with it.

512high likes this.
  10. Jonathan Wurz

Might happen eventually but right now I've got the bushings out and I'm waiting for new ones. I can't see any damage that I could point to when asking for a new pump. Thanks for the help, I'll keep you posted.

512high likes this.