• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 931 steering problems

ademero

Hi all I got a cat 931 28Y and having some steering brake issues. The left brake doesn't seem to work very good. Have to press the peddle very hard to get any brake. Right side brake is a bit easier then left. As the machine gets warmer the left brake gets worse. I notice there is a pulsating growling sound when pressing on the left brake when the machine is moving.

I checked the adjustment of the left brake, but I've seen two different ways to adjust it. Top adjuster bolt you tighten up, then bottom bolt tighten then back off 1 1/2 turns, and then back off the top bolt 3 1/2 turns. Or another one that said back both adjusters 1 1/2 turns. I did the first one, 3 1/2 turns on the top bolt.

Steering valves I think are working. They are pressing on the cams and if you are moving, push both peddles in 1/2 way and machine stops, if you raise either peddle it will start moving again. Where does it get the pressure/oil from? The transmission or hydraulic reservoir?

The bevel gear oil is low, i need to add some 30w and also when checking the final drive oil levels there was pressure in the left housing when removing the plug. Oil levels were bolt good. Is there a vent for the final drives?

Thanks all

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Hi all I got a cat 931 28Y and having some steering brake issues.

Thanks all

A little problem with numbers. 931 comes up as a track type loader and a 28Y comes up as a D3B Tractor.

They may be related but before I try to find info would like confirmation on them.

I have access to SIS and might be able to get trouble shooting info.

ademero

Hi, thanks for the reply, I rechecked the serial, its starts off 931 28Y1193. Its a track type loader. I'm in canada if that makes any difference.

Bob/Ont

It does Eh! We're a bit backwards up here Eh! Joking aside do you have wet or dry clutches? Release bearings on the valve spool ends tend to fail but that doesn't sound like your problem. If you have adjusting bolts on the bottom you have dry clutches. Might have worn out brake linings. Tighten up adjusters as fully and check for pedal travel. Shorten linkage if you see any travel untill there is zero with band tight. Then back off band. Come on back.
Later Bob

ademero

Hi its dry clutches, has the adjuster bolts on the bottom. With the adjusters tightened up there is no play in rod.

I rechecked the clutch release left side, was some play before it contacted the valve. Adjusted the same as the right side. Also tightened up the brake top adjusting bolt again and backed it off only 1 1/2 turns instead of 3 1/2. Seems to be working better now. Will try it out more tomorrow after I get some oil for the bevel gear. Just to confirm its 30w oil right?

I think its going to need brakes soon, as the bottom adjuster bolt doesn't have much left in it before the lock nut runs out of threads / bottoms out on bolt head.

Any idea why there would have been pressure in the left side final drive?

Bob/Ont

There is no vent, both could build pressure. The bottom adjuster is to carry the brake band so it will not ride on the drum. If you have dry brakes adjusted too tight they will heat up and lock the machine very soon. If it continues to work you have them right. Use 30 TDTO or equivelent in power train, critical in any compartment with a clutch.
Later Bob

wosama931b

Occupation
Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
Hello ademero, I have a 931b, on mine the parts were worn or the bracket that holds the clutch slave was very loose, under the cover that goes in side to brake
leaver, will have oblong hole, also that cam and small bearing could need fixing, hard to tell unless you remove, good luck, sam.

ademero

Thanks for all the help! We used it yesterday and the brake is working better, but it's still not 100%. Hoping it holds out until winter and can go through everything - give me a good winter project to do.

parky123

ademero-- did you replace brakes?
looks like I have too and its stumping me how the heck they will come out
parky123

ademero

No I never pulled it apart yet, still using it Hasnt gotten any worse, just will see what it does. There are a few threads on here and other forums with guys doing the brakes/clutch's.