• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 914G hi/lo not working

Hey, I have a 99 914G and its stuck in low gear. Nothing happens when you switch to high. I checked the voltage at the switch in the cab and it seems to be working fine. I dove into the manual but cannot make heads or tails of the wiring schematic. I also cant locate the hydraulic Solenoid that changes over the flow. First time working on a hydrostatic! Any ideas?

The machine is new to me and needed a new engine. I got done putting in a new one now IM running it to find other issues it has. I assumed it has hi/lo since the switch is there and hot..all of the other options have blanks where the switches would be. Like the ride control and other options.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
From what I can see it does not appear as though this particular machine was originally built with the 2-speed option.
It could have been added later but that info would not be contained in the factory "as built" database.

Can you post a photo of the Hi/Lo switch, just so we all know which one you are referring to.? Isit the one with the arrow by any chance.?
upload_2021-4-2_22-35-29.png

I attached a photo. It is in the same location as the picture you presented.

Attachments

• 20210402_161451_HDR.jpg
    20210402_161451_HDR.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
It also looks like the factory plate displays the turtle/rabbit emblem. I noticed its in a different location than your picture but still portrayed as being far right.

Was looking around for possible damaged wires and and noticed the transmission speed sensor was broken in half. I tried to push the barbs back in but it eventually snapped in half. I will need to get a new one since this one was most likely damaged during the engine install.

Do you think those could be a possible link to the hi/lo not operating?

Attachments

• 20210402_175155.jpg
    20210402_175155.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 20210402_175202.jpg
    20210402_175202.jpg
    785.1 KB · Views: 16

Nige

Do you think those could be a possible link to the hi/lo not operating?
Potentially. Certainly I would recommend that you replace it before proceeding further with diagnostics. Here is the parts breakdown.
Latest sensor Part Number is 318-1178, despite the fact that the parts list shows 183-5011.

I was looking in a bit more detail of the build record of your machine. I found the 2-speed (35km/h max ground speed) attachment hidden in the Power Train Arrangement. So yes your particular machine was definitely originally built with 2-speed.

Attachments

• 118-8176.pdf
    64.2 KB · Views: 9
Thank you for sharing that. So the sensor that is broken is the engine speed sensor (I was wrong calling it the transmission one). But I also located the transmission speed sensor and found it unplugged. It appears that those both send signal to the ecm. I will get a new one on Monday.
I also understand the system better after diving into this over the last few days. I found out the hi/lo solenoid is burned out. And it is located on top of the fuel tank. When I tested the solenoid its getting power when the hi/lo switch is operated, but not operating the solenoid.
Hopefully thats the end of the road and fixes the problem. I will update results in case someone else has this issue.

Nige

Good news that you are getting somewhere. The Part Number of the engine speed sensor will be different to what I posted above. Check the attachment for the correct P/N.

If you want a P/N for the solenoid it should either be on the schematic or on a tag on the solenoid. I can get it for you if you come up empty in both of those locations.

Nige

The engine speed sensor is Part Number 116-6680. When you install it make sure there is a flywheel ring gear tooth directly under centre of the sensor hole. Screw the sensor in until it touches the gear tooth then back off 2/3 of a turn and tighten the locknut without allowing the sensor to move.

You might find the attached useful during diagnostics. You can actually get the transmission ECM into Service Mode to check for electronic faults by removing the Harness Code Plug and then powering up the machine by turning on the key. The Harness Code Plugs are shown on Grid I-10 of Page 2 of the schematic. The connector (CONN 35) that they plug into is shown at Grid I-8. The plug is Ref #2 (P/N 116-4232) on the attachment in post #10 above. If it blinks any Codes at you post up what they are.

Attachments

• SENR6767.pdf
    303.7 KB · Views: 12
  • SENR1278-00 - Electrical Schematic.pdf
    920.6 KB · Views: 9
Picked up the speed sensor and solenoid today. Got them both installed and no change. Although I was able to fully test the old solenoid and it was burned out. The problem i think is in the wiring. The hi/lo switch only has 4v of power in the cab, and the plug on the hydraulic solenoid is receiving a constant 8v of power. Regardless if the rocker switch is pushed either way.
The way I read it is the solenoid will recieve a grounded out signal for lo speed and voltage for the hi speed. Do you know what voltage the cab switch should be at? The switch itself says 24V.. Next step ill do the ECM code reading. Another problem is the battery symbol is lit up on the dash.

Nige

Try first confirming the voltage across the batteries themselves. Should be 24v.

Cab switch should have battery voltage I think.

EDIT: You may not have noticed this ........ in Grid A-3 of the schmmatic is a table of Colour Codes. This table relates to the colours of the wires "as drawn" on the schematic, not the actual colour of a specific wire. The Code refers to what the wire does, or in some cases what voltage it carries. Pay particular attantion to the wires coloured RED that are live with Batt+ when the master switch is ON, and BLUE that are live with Batt+ when the key switch is ON.

The power wire for the Hi/Lo switch is C742-OR located at D-8 on the schematic. If you follow that wire back to Grid A-6 it connects to wire 308-YL at a jumper (CONN 20). Because 308-YL is coloured BLUE on the schematic it is supposed to have Batt+ when the key switch is ON. Ergo you should have 24v on C742-OR at the speed selector switch.

upload_2021-4-8_1-34-8.pngupload_2021-4-8_1-34-46.png

Last edited:
Yes im good on voltage across batteries. Might do some creative wiring. My Only concern is sending to much voltage to the solenoid? IM assuming its 24 volts?

Thanks for the update. I have the switch removed and with the key on, F747-or-18 has 4.9 volts and is located on pin 1

The 742-or-18 at pin 2 has 0 voltage. And this is the wire that is suppose to have 24v with key on?

Nige

You know what.? Do the Blink code test for the Transmission Control from post #13 above. Let's see what it throws up.

Getting one's head around the electrical schematic is a challenge. It tries to be all things to all men by showing every possible option, and until you read a million-and-one footnotes it is hard to decipher......... I think this is where you came in..!!

I have never looked forward to electronics! I will start the ecm codes in the morning. I ran out of daylight. Re reading the manual for now and will start fresh tomorrow. Thankyou for helping out!