• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 910 repower with a cummins

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Dang, you quit before you had it running? :p

I almost had to put mittens on just to watch the video and I'm sitting maybe 8 feet from a wood stove loaded with some good hardwood!

Labrador-tractor

well yesterday we finally got the cummins running in the cat, all is good so far! exhaust isnt hooked up yet thats why so much smoke from the engine bay but the turbo elbow and the original stack line up pretty good so a bit is going up the exhaust stack.

GOPR0255.JPG

GOPR0256.JPG

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Agree on having some added support for the hyd. pump. Also I'm guessing you might be planing on adding some shroud from the fan to radiator.

Labrador-tractor

I know we talked about the bracket for the hyd pump and I thought he made something while the engine was still in his garage but I'm not sure honestly if its there yet or not, there will be one though these B series love to crack that gear train housing. the third guy in this project who supplied the flywheel, bellhousing and pump gear and owns the dodge with the Hiab boom used to install this engine has a John deere 544 we put a 5.9 cummins in 5 or 6 years ago and that has a cracked gear housing that I need to weld up some day.

the plan is on our next days off, 3 of us work the same shift, to travel the loader back to the owners house so he can work on it in his driveway in front of his garage instead of out of his truck like we've been doing. there the wiring will get done, injection pump changed ( found one last night actually) , fan shroud extended , exhaust hooked up as well as the air cleaner.

hseII

I know we talked about the bracket for the hyd pump and I thought he made something while the engine was still in his garage but I'm not sure honestly if its there yet or not, there will be one though these B series love to crack that gear train housing. the third guy in this project who supplied the flywheel, bellhousing and pump gear and owns the dodge with the Hiab boom used to install this engine has a John deere 544 we put a 5.9 cummins in 5 or 6 years ago and that has a cracked gear housing that I need to weld up some day.

the plan is on our next days off, 3 of us work the same shift, to travel the loader back to the owners house so he can work on it in his driveway in front of his garage instead of out of his truck like we've been doing. there the wiring will get done, injection pump changed ( found one last night actually) , fan shroud extended , exhaust hooked up as well as the air cleaner.
Any update on this project?

I wonder how well a 4BT would do in say a 943?

Labrador-tractor

loader worked well and still does, My buddy sold it while he had no use for it, regrets it now as he lives off grid and said a few times wishes he still had it.

should be a fairly similar swap into the 943. not sure if the flywheel housing on them has the same oil return port as the 910. if not it makes the swap that much easier. same goes with the hydraulic pump.

I Might be swapping my 920 yet, it does not have the port or the hydraulic pump so Id just have to do the flywheel machining same as this 910. find a B series air compressor or a belt driven unit. and figure out a transmission cooler.

one problem I see with going from the 3304 to a 4BT is weight, I'll be using the 920 with forks a lot so its lifting capacity is something I'd like to keep. Finding weights on the 3304 was conflicting but the 4BT dressed is only 800LBS and the 3304 I've been seeing 1800ish. so I'd need to hang around 1000LBS of counterweight.

Last edited: