1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Cat 85D PTO

Discussion in 'Agricultural Equipment' started by aussiefarmer, Aug 3, 2020.

1. aussiefarmer

aussiefarmer New Member

hi just wanting to run a grain cart with an 85D but it has no PTO. it seems to have been an option on these tractors so does anybody know if there is a place to find a conversion kit to add PTO. Preferably somewhere in australia

2. Plebeian

Plebeian Senior Member

I assume you are referring to a Challenger 85D?
    http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/9/2/928-challenger-85d.html

It will be expensive to do any option - change your existing machine to a metal pto, hydraulic pto, hydraulic drive, (borrow, lease, rent another tractor with a PTO already fitted) etc.
    In North America there are hydraulic drive grain carts for the big tractors with no metal pto shaft at the rear.
    https://www.jm-inc.com/manuals/grain_carts/s_hydraulic_drive_kit.pdf

Could be a wrecker's yard Challenger around with a back section with a metal pto shaft. Probably be ruinously expensive to overhaul and recondition to a working condition to swap with/ into your machine's rear section.
    http://www.ruralwrecking.com.au/now-wrecking.php

3. aussiefarmer

aussiefarmer New Member

yes it is a caterpillar 85D. regarding the hydraulic drive grain cart what is the unload speed like. if it is fast enough might just convert our existing bin over to hydraulic drive

4. Mark250

Mark250 Senior Member

heavy equipment technician
    1 would be too scared to even price it
    upload_2020-8-5_8-31-27.png

5. sandy

sandy Well-Known Member

diesel mechanic
    Cheapest to find one at weckers with a pto
    and fit pto to yours

6. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    According to NPR 122-0539 is only available as separate parts so it's probably a million lines of individual bits & pieces.

7. 56wrench

56wrench Senior Member

based on my experience, the hyd drive conversion runs the unload auger at about half the speed of a pto drive unless maybe you have better hyd flow than my tractor. my J&M 875 cart came with a pto and i converted it to hyd because the pto kit for a case-ih 9150 was almost impossible to find and $10,000+. the hyd drive conversion will be about $5000+ CAD, but that was 3 yrs ago. Brandt and J&M sell hyd conversion kits for their carts but it would likely depend on the size of cart you have and the size of the unload auger.