• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 830mb. (Ex military)

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
A33A0654-45F1-4651-98A6-9A864AE22E93.jpeg A2C44C58-B195-46B5-8BDD-17FA2AF32541.jpeg 2608DCE5-9F8B-4F7D-9703-4B1AB957C9A0.jpeg E25A0B48-56A5-4368-A005-3090887E1142.jpeg Hey guys, our machine seems to be mixing oily substance in with the coolant, checked all the fluids an all that was low was trains fluid, hyd was ok,engine oil level was fine, trains was prob 3.5 gallons low, so I said maybe that was it, we topped it off an added some dye to the system an turned the trains oil fluorescent green, well it never sent any green to the coolant, the coolant looks to be like redish brown an floating around the system, not a complete slush tho , also the tractors air compressor is water cooled an it also has a qt sized copper mason jar that screws onto a houseing Anna’s the motor runs the compressor slowly draws the oil from canister into the air compressor , guessing as a luber system, we’ve owned the tractor for close to 5 yrs an allways adding oil to the canister everyday we run it, Tractor isn’t ran a lot , kinda seasonal, we use it to pull a Lawson chopper around the property to mulch underbrush an trees, I’m in the process of looking for more oil dye of several differ colors so I can put in the compressor canister, hyd tank, engine oil, an possibly the brake system, the tractor is equipped with air/hyds an inside the frame of the tractor is a canister that holds 30 weight oil , there is one for each of the tires. An I’m sure no one has drained any of the air tanks to look inside for oily nasty residue from over the yrs, but I will check it along with all four wheel canisters next time I’m around it. This big boy is basically an ole retired Vietnam tractor from back in the day, they were equipped with dozier blades on the front an also pulled a bowl around like a 657 pan. Hopefully someone out there is lil familiar with the 830, I’ve located the military manuals for it an gonna start reading while I wait for the differ colored oil dye to come in. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thx

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
Well that was my thoughts aswell but we topped it off with trains fluid an poured in the oil dye aswell an turned the fluid fluorescent green an drove it hr an never noticed any of the green oil in coolant.

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
After reading up on my books that we have come to find out there for the older 830m an not the 830mb. Some things are similar but there’s a big difference in the way the mb was changed. Completely differ air compressor system, starter an no pony motor,twin trains oil coolers , an additional external oil cooler in front of radiator (kinda like automotive type , air blows threw it an not water cooled). Trying to find a closer manual for my serial range, no luck as of yet

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
our machine seems to be mixing oily substance in with the coolant,.................the coolant looks to be like redish brown an floating around the system, not a complete slush tho , also the tractors air compressor is water cooled
If the air compressor is water cooled are you sure that oil from the compressor is not getting into the coolant that way.?

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
Hopefully it’s something simple as the compressor , waiting on differ colored dye to put in the mason jar canister that’s drawn threw compressor, but in therory we’re does the lube oil go once intered into compressor? For yrs every time we’ve check the canister it’s always either empty or fixing to be, ya would think if it lubes the compressor then the excess oil should be slobbering into air tanks, an that mess would be threw the whole air system. I had looked over my military operations an service an parts manual for then 830 m series an it’s mostly differ than the mb series. Completely differ layouts. M series were equipped with pony motors an cable opperated an mb was Hyd controls. Hopeing to find a service manual for the mb class No luck yet , what lil I’ve seen was for m series, an only for the one military forums online an they were more the line of vehicles or tanks , not really into the heavy equipment part

Bluox

Check with Midwest Publishing, Manual SENR5121.
830M 41E1-401 cable,41E402 up Hyd.
Are you sure compressor jar is oil ? I think it should be alcohol air drier.
Bob

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
Wow never though of it possibly useing alcohol for the dryer, not sure, don’t think I’ve seen an dryer on the machine, but it being a tractor I don’t guess I’ve seen one on it but then again I’d prob be looking for one similar to like for a truck. Hopefully an manual would inform me more on the system an how it works. The older manual I have for the m series don’t talk about an dryer nor built like the mb series, the m looks more like the truck type, small twin cylinder with the governor mounted on it an simple set up.I’ll look into the guys ya recommend bout a newer manual. Thx

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
Check with Midwest Publishing, Manual SENR5121.
830M 41E1-401 cable,41E402 up Hyd.
Are you sure compressor jar is oil ? I think it should be alcohol air drier.
Bob
Hello sir, seems like I mite be learning something here if it’s a dryer system canister, but can you help me a lil better with the publishing manuals site. When I try to look that up all I see is alotta other odd an ends an not anything related to repair manuals. Thx for ur time an help

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
Going out to the tractor today an overlook the air compressor plumbing and see what fittings I mite need to remove the air outlet side of the line an tie into my air compressor off my service truck an feed air into the mb,s system an see bout draining the twin air tanks an see what sludge comes out. I’m thinking possibly all the 90w oil that we had been putting in the air compressor canister over the last few yrs . Like I’ve said , I’ve always wandered , we is that oil allways going when it leaves the canister? An manual for the m series says that the compressor is lubed like regular compressors due off pressurerized engine oil .

Bluox

Hello sir, seems like I mite be learning something here if it’s a dryer system canister, but can you help me a lil better with the publishing manuals site. When I try to look that up all I see is alotta other odd an ends an not anything related to repair manuals. Thx for ur time an help
Call your cat dealer up and have them check with the company that prints their old manuals using that SENR 5121 number.
Drivetrain will be similar to 988 87A and 834 43E. parts and service manuals.
Bob

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
The Mason jar is not for oil it is for air line antifreeze I bet.
Yes sir, you were rite. Went to it this morning an the canister is plumbed from the air governor to the jar an then from the jar to the compressor, sorta like it pressurized the can an push’s oil to compressor B5CBBB8F-849F-4A07-BAB6-71DF8A033C5E.jpeg7C6820A7-79CC-40FF-A3BC-B35FC162F726.jpeg

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
You might find the manuals you are looking for on the Antique Caterpillar Machinery Owners Club Bulletin Board (ACMOC). In the Members Section there are now tons of no longer produced "Legacy Manuals" that have been posted to the board for the member's benefit. Per the agreement they can be looked at, but not printed, or copies sold. I believe you can still visit a about 3 times free on the member side before you have to join. Membership is $40.00 a year with the online version of the magazine