• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 797 rear wheel end bearing preload.

Machinedoctor

Hi, got a 797 rear wheel end to do a bearing preload on and CAT SIS only shows the "preferred bearing preload method" using the tooling that costs about $60k. Does anyone have a copy or knowledge of the "alternate bearing preload method" ?
CAT SIS shows this "alternate" method on all the other smaller dump trucks and the super expensive tooling is not needed. I am not sure if CAT ever had the "alternate" method available for the 797's, just checking. Thanks in advance

Cmark

You're right. It looks like previous iterations of the D&A which may or may not document the alternate method aren't on SIS any longer. The best I can suggest is that looking at the special instruction for the tooling it tells us the amount of preload it gives. Maybe you could fabricobble something using a portapower to achieve the same thing?

upload_2022-4-17_9-34-49.png

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I am not sure if CAT ever had the "alternate" method available for the 797's, just checking.
To the best of my knowledge there was never any alternative to the preload tool shown on SIS. On top of that if you wanted to get the bearings set anywhere near correctly the tool was the only way. The problem lies in the sheer size of the bearings combined with the weight of the rear wheel station assembly components.
IIRC way back even before the 797B came out our CRC had the preload tool "go tech" on them and after a load of head-scratching and trying to set bearings without the tool they gave up and air-freighted a new one in and shipped the old one out for repair.