1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 740b brake issue

Discussion in 'Other Earthmoving Equipment' started by Jdgreen420, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Jdgreen420

Jdgreen420 New Member

Hi, I have a Cat 740b haul truck. I have just recently performed a 1000 hour service on the machine. All new filters and fluids. My operators are now complaining that the brakes will not hold them loaded on slopes and the brakes require much more effort then it had previously. After changing the hydraulic fluid it took a while for both the hoist/brake system and steering system to stop cavitating but after about 30 seconds everything seemed normal. After the complaint I bled the brake system at each wheel thinking their may be some air in the system but that did not seem to help the issue any. If you're hard on the pedal the machine will over power the brakes around 1500 rpm. Will hold the machine on the slopes fine empty but not loaded which It had no problem doing before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Not being there or having worked on one of those trucks, at least not that model, Two things I can think of is checking brake pump pressure and checking brake adjustments. See file below

Attached Files: