• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cat 735 won't shift out of first gear

Andry

I found, that when truck moving, control unit didn't watch it, lamp of the speed sensor is always on. We checked speed sensor, wire, they were ok, but we don't have a new transmission control unit( we didn't have solution(

Tony Tidwell

Does the lockup clutch engage.? You should be able to feel it engage if nothing else. If you didn't know better you'd think it was shifting a gear.
We ran the transmission fill calibration and at the end it says calibration unsuccessful
-Error Code : 1023 Transmission Clutch 1 at a limit
-Error Code : 1024 Transmission Clutch 2 at a limit
-Error Code : 1025 Transmission Clutch 3 at a limit
-Error Code : 1026 Transmission Clutch 4 at a limit

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If you tried to calibrate the transmission clutch fill you obviously have (or have access to) Cat ET. What Diagnostic Codes are logged/active in the machine at the present time.?

BTW the message referred to in post #41 was not for you, it was for the poster from post #40 on the previous page.

Tony Tidwell

If you tried to calibrate the transmission clutch fill you obviously have (or have access to) Cat ET. What Diagnostic Codes are logged/active in the machine at the present time.?

BTW the message referred to in post #41 was not for you, it was for the poster from post #40 on the previous page.
Right now only active code is 96-3 fuel level sensor above normal

Nige

Ok, dead end there then.
Pressure test the transmission/converter/retarder system would be the next step I think. Procedure attached just in case you don't have it.

Attachments

• B1L01450 - PT Pressures - Test.pdf
    844.4 KB · Views: 16

chessitc

Hello Everybody.

We have a CAT 725 dumper with serial AFX01521 and it won't shift to the 4th gear. It's trying but doesn't get it in the 4th gear so it will go back to the 3rd.
Has anyone an idea where to look?

Nige

I know it might be difficult in Holland but does it upshift to 4th speed travelling downhill.?
Does the oil smell burned.?
Have you cut the transmission filter to check for the presence of particles.? This is an important check because you may have failed the #2 clutch in the transmission.
Have you tried the powertrain pressure tests per the attachment in post #50 above.?

EDIT: You also should get hold of (or make) a Click Box so that you can put the electronics into Service Mode and check what Diagnostic codes might be present. It's unfortunate that your machine does not have the Scroll/Clear switches on the dashboard that are referred in Post #37 on Page 2.
See this thread.......... https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/the-famous-cat-click-box.72956/

Last edited:

Nige

Here is the clutch chart for your transmission. as you can see the #2 clutch is never used until the transmission goes above 3rd speed.

IMO the finger of suspicion points at the #2 clutch. It could be a failed ECPC modulating valve for that clutch or the clutch itself has failed. Getting the Diagnostic Codes is the critical thing right now - if there is a code for the #2 clutch solenoid valve then you know straight away where to look.

upload_2021-6-1_17-11-49.png

chessitc

Thank Nige, i don't have time now to check but i will come back later. I will check the oil and see if the ecpc valve is working correctly. No hills at all here :) but the machine has enough power so don't think that's the problem.

Nige

No hills at all here :)
Yeah, I wrote it a bit tongue-in-cheeck just on the off-chance.
Personally I would check the oil colour, clarity (it should be bright & clear, not cloudy), & smell first, then cut the filter & look for debris. A clutch failure will be obvious from the results of that inspection, the filter will have a lot of black gritty particles in it which is the remains of the clutch disc friction material.
If you find nothing then the chances of a burned-up clutch would seem unlikely allowing you to focus on the electrical side.