1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cat 735 won't shift out of first gear

Discussion in 'Other Earthmoving Equipment' started by mattoliver80, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Digger8989

Digger8989 New Member

Did this fix the problem?

Hey,
    Wondering if the new solenoid fixed the problem ?

2. Warddozer

Warddozer Member

Hate to Bring up an old thread I just bought a cat 725 2006 model. Driving it to job site went about a half mile transmission filter light came on. Went back to yard and changed it. It shifted fine a little hesitant but shifted. I now have reverse intermittently but it locks in strong and only have first gear on forward shifts to second on display but nothing is there?? I have re-calibrated the clutches. It is displaying codes of
    Turbo pressure sensor
    Throttle positioning sensor
    Fuel level sensor
    Transmission temp sensor
    Code that first shows up on start up is
    273-0138 which I cannot find out what it means any ideas?

3. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Post a Serial Number for better information. I can check & post the diagnostic procedures for the 4 codes you mention above when I get into the office tomorrow.

4. Warddozer

Warddozer Member

B1L699 the last code 273-0138 is the one I am having trouble with. Thank you

5. Nige

Nige Senior Member

T273-0138 is actually the Part Number of the electronic indicator panel in the dash. When you first turn the key on and it boots up it is programmed to display the Part Number during the bootup sequence. BTW there is an updated panel available, Part Number 287-3247.

Regarding the other four codes, please can you post details of what is displayed. e.g. something like 091-08 or similar. It will help to identify the correct troubleshooting procedure.
    Also have you confirmed that those four codes are Active, and not simply Logged meaning that they were there at one time but are not there now..?

Turbo pressure sensor
    Throttle positioning sensor
    Fuel level sensor
    Transmission temp sensor

6. Warddozer

Warddozer Member

Yes they are active nothing else comes up on dash I am using cat et. I will be getting in those sensors later today because of my location I ordered them and will test and replace them as I go return what I don’t need. I am just wondering if the throttle positioning code can kick it into a limp mode only leaving first gear? I will update
    Thanks again

7. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Rather than replace sensors wholesale to "fault find by substitution" would you not be better advised to go through the Troubleshooting Procedure for each of the Active Diagnostic Codes that you have..? Some if not all of the issues could be down to a bad wiring harness or connector. Swapping sensors ain't gonna fix that........

If you post the Diagnostic Codes in CIDxxx FMIyyy form I'm pretty sure that I can round up the correct Troubleshooting procedure for each one of them.

8. Warddozer

Warddozer Member

Active codes
    Engine side
    1589-3 turbo inlet pressure voltage above normal
    91-8 threottle position sensor abnormal frequency, pulse width, or period
    96-3 fuel level sensor voltage above normal

9. Warddozer

Warddozer Member

Performed throttle position test
    O% at idle
    100% at wide open throttle

10. Nige

Nige Senior Member

There's your problem (I think). The throttle sensor signal needs to be between 7% (Idle) and 95% (WOT). Procedures attached.
    A suggestion. Pay particular attention to every electrical connector you open, especially the big ones. Get in there with contact cleaner big style.
    The turbo inlet pressure sensor shows as CID 275, but the procedure should be the same although you might have to pay attention to wire numbers in the harness. That sensor is part of the signals that measure air filter restriction (and control engine derate). Maybe that's where your issue lies..?

Attached Files: