• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 613 bogging down

PapaK

Hello everyone, I just bought two Cat 613Bs for building a road into a property I bought. The one machine is running like a top but I’m having issues with the other one.

When I’m dumping, the machine is really bogging down in the spilled topsoil to the point where it’s acting like it’s low on transmission fluid but the engine is making power. It seems to be ok while picking up loads (for about 30 min) at that point the engine bogs down to the point where it seems like the engine is over heating or something but the temps are good and there is lots of water and oil.

To start off, the previous owner replaced the shifter cable with something too long and it has too much play in it which makes it hard to get it into neutral. I thought at first maybe it was selecting a higher gear inadvertently so I spent a couple hours adjusting the cable to the point where that’s not the issue. I still need to replace the shifter cable with the correct one but it’s working for now.

When I check the transmission fluid after running a couple loads while the engine is running, it’s right at the full line. I’m not sure what oil viscosity is in there.

I’m able to get the loads out slowly but after running for about 20-30 min like I said above, all the sudden the engine bogs down to the point where it has no power and is losing RPM. This has happened twice and I’ve shut the machine down immediately when it’s happened and at this point I’m a little scared to do anything else until I’ve tracked down the cause. On shut down the temps are at 210. On the oil pressure gauge seems to be reading low. The previous owner said it’s always read low at 15 psi but on the other hand I’m scared I can’t trust it. It does drop way below zero when it’s shut down so I think maybe it’s just out of calibration. I think I will pull it and test it with an air compressor though and potentially replace it for piece of mind.

As a side note, I drove the machine 2 hours down backroads when I bought it not using the hydraulics except to turn and there were no issues.

I think my next steps are to pull the transmission filters and replace the fluid and see if that helps. I know sometimes water can swell the paper filters. Does anyone have any insight or things I should also check? Any help would be appreciated as in shooting blind and haven’t really owned anything like this before.

As a couple of extras things that might not be related but you never know: This machine belches black smoke under load. I think it’s very rich and maybe there is a fuel screw adjustment? It seems to have more power than the other machine that is running well so I think maybe it’s turned up a bit?

Also this machine turns left very slowly. I’m guessing the ram probably has a bad internal seal?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide some tips of where to start looking?

Vetech63

The first thing you should do is run an engine stall test. You need to determine whether you have an engine or transmission problem before you start buying parts. The stall test will tell you if the engine is capable of carrying the loads it was designed for. Black smoke is unburned fuel which can be caused by several things.

PapaK

Transmission fluid change seemed to help the loss of power in the soft material. I took off this cap to adjust the fuel and it was full of paint chips and crap and I think it had been sucking junk from the tank. From what I can find from online everything should have been filtered before this point correct? Is there a last screen before the injectors some where or are my injectors most likely full of gunk now too? 2A6B668A-8DD5-49EA-A61E-72756FF39A8B.jpeg

Dave Neubert

Under the plate at the rear of the scraper is a electric fuel pump and there is a primary filter with a cleanable screen check the filter

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
There appear to have been lots of changes regarding fuel filters, screens, & lines setups across the 613 production. I can see at least 5 setups depending on Serial Number - that's assuming the machine still has the original setup of course.

Post your S/N so that it narrows the field down a little. I'm assuming the tractor is a 71M prefix.

PapaK

Under the plate at the rear of the scraper is a electric fuel pump and there is a primary filter with a cleanable screen check the filter

I have found the primary filter. But I’m worried about how all the gunk made it through that and a second square clear glass one and to the injector rack… to my amateur eye, I will have gunk all in my injectors.

I will grab the serial number when I’m out at the machine today thanks.

Bluox

I have found the primary filter. But I’m worried about how all the gunk made it through that and a second square clear glass one and to the injector rack… to my amateur eye, I will have gunk all in my injectors.

I will grab the serial number when I’m out at the machine today thanks.
Check the air filter and air system.
The glass is a water separator should be a spin on filter after that.
Why would you ever attempt to adjust an injection pump?
Bad Bob

PapaK

Ch
Why would you ever attempt to adjust an injection pump?
Bad Bob

The machine blows so much black smoke you can’t see what you’re picking up so the fuel needed to be turned down.

I took off the access plate in the back and saw that they bypassed the first fuel filter when they installed a new fuel pump. The secondary one was working and I think the gunk I saw must have been from the cap I removed maybe being dirty before it was reinstalled once upon a time?

Either way I was able to get it running again.

So now my next problem. I preemptively changed the transmission filter in the other machine and now I can’t get it to move under its own power. I just did some reading and it sounds like I maybe need to do a better job bleeding the air? Is there another spot to bleed besides on top of the filter??

Both machines are 38W prefix fyi

Dave Neubert

Never had that problem I think those run a suction hose that looks like a radiator hose check condition of hose and clamps if not most likley weak trans pump

Reactions: DB2

tctractors

Check the Air Fuel Ratio control and pipe work on the 1, on the other bleed out or re prime the trans pump, now I think of it on the first Scraper run a valve set then check the pump timing it is easy and also check the air filters, the high and low idle and full load RPM is also easy to check. tctractors

Reactions: DB2