• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 548,weak tracking

chainsaw

Im running a new cat 548 with a waratah 623c.the track drive seems very weak and slow.is this normal for this model machine?

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
If it’s brand new then maybe the pressures didn’t get checked before it left the stealership. Most forestry machines have good track power.

hoechucker

How weak and slow? The 558's are pretty slow and weak in the travel compared to the 568's. I'd imagine that a 548 with a head would be a little on the weak side while turning. Every once in a while the limited mobility switch will get flipped but that usually shows up on the screen.

chainsaw

How weak and slow? The 558's are pretty slow and weak in the travel compared to the 568's. I'd imagine that a 548 with a head would be a little on the weak side while turning. Every once in a while the limited mobility switch will get flipped but that usually shows up on the screen.
Where would I find that switch?

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
A 548 is a very underperforming machine for what you are trying to do, It is like a 324 which was too small of a machine for a 623 head. You needed the 558.

*Edit*
It is not an underperforming machine but people put a 623 head on them when really they should have a 622 for that carrier.

chainsaw

I was very surprised my boss even bought a processor,he's an old school logger,he's been happy with our 324/4550 denharco.

hoechucker

If you have an operator with any pride on a dangle head they make nice logs and very nice decks without loosing production.