• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 426 Starter Solenoid Issues

Rocket Man

Hello all. Back again with an issue i can not seem to figure out. This is on my 1987 Cat 426 Backhoe sn 7BC00580. The starter just would not engage, Stuck right in the middle of my driveway and it dies and when i tried to start it it was a no go. Turns out it was out of fuel even tho it had 1/4 tank. Down pipe must have a hole in it.
Anyway, as i was trying to start it i let up on key and it just kept trying to start on its own. The solenoid would not disengage for some reason. I was able to unhook the battery very fast, i keep tools handy for that reason.
So i took starter off and removed the solenoid as i was going to get a new one. As a removed the solenoid the plunger part stayed attached to the fork. I thought that was ok as most i worked on had a pin that kept them in place. I rotated the starter and that plunger just fell out. Now that plunger fits into the solenoid housing which has a fixed stud that the plunger fits over. Inside the plunger is a spring that presses against the fixed stud.
Upon closer inspection i discovered that there is a little spring in the plunger that was distorted and prevented the plunger from moving in or out.
As a result i got a new solenoid and reassembled. However, doing the bench test i discovered that the solenoid would not push the fork out enough for the starter drive to engage the flywheel.
So here is the question, how does that plunger fit to the fork/lever? When i put it back together i figured it just fit up against the fork and was held in place by pressure. Now i am wondering if maybe it somehow hooks over the fork? It does have this weird looking spring loaded slot at the end of it.
Anyway, sorry for long post but better to have full details. Anyway help is appreciated.

Delmer

The plunger will be be connected to the bendix so that it engages and disengages the gear positively, like the pin that you're used to. It will pull and push, both ways. So the slotted hook should connect to the fork somehow. Sorry, I can't picture it, so I can't describe it any better.

lantraxco

The bar on the plunger has a slot in it, with a spring and retainer, you have to figure out how to get the tang on the shift fork into that slot so the plunger pulls it.

Rocket Man

Sorry everybody but got diverted to another urgent problem. I did solve that solenoid problem. I figured it out by reading "Delmar" and "lantraxco"s post describing exactly what i could see here. So the problem was how do i hold that spring and retainer open while i slide it over the fork end? That space is very small and no way can one get fingers in there. Solution? I used a ZIP TIE to hold that spring and retainer back while i slipped it over the fork, then once on i cut the zip tie.
I want to thank you all for the help. Also,m i could not post pics cause my phone went crazy and wont take pics. LOL