• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 420D

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
It will dig out stumps are good or better than any other backhoe. The lifting power of the backhoe end is limited by stability first. What that means is you can pick up enough weight to lift the front end up or fill the front bucket with dirt and get more lift farther out. Some machines are hydraulically limited, meaning you run out of power before lifting the other end. With the bucket filled, I can dig stumps out almost as far as it will reach. Obviously different trees have differing root systems, so some are easier than others.

We have no A/C, so summers are a little warm, but the heat works fine in the winter.

I should also note, it is one heavy beast. Ours with the e-stick, heavy counterweight up front, 4n1 bucket, cab, drive shaft guards, and stabilizer cylinder guards weighs in right at 20,000lbs. Needless to say, mud is not its friend. Not that a 16k lb Cat, Case or Deere will be a whole lot better, but more weight never helps.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Hey Handlogger - welcome to the forums.:drinkup

I have an '03 420DIT and it has been a good machine. One thing about the D model cat backhoes is the parking brake - extremely week. Of course a parking brake not working on a backhoe is really not an issue with so many parts you can stick in the ground.:D The only other issue I have had is the A/C, not a problem with an open cab- obviously.

One suggestion would be to take fluid samples: oil, hydraulic, coolant, gear oil, etc, and take them to the local Cat dealer for analysis. I fluid test all of my machines at every fluid change and it will tell you if something is wrong. I think the charge for each analysis is $12, when the machine is out of warranty (it is included while the machine is under warranty). Cheap insurance when buying a new machine, but be careful to take a clean sample at the correct operating temperature, as specified in the manual.

If the machine checks out with 422 hours and the price is right, it should supply you with years of service.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF kwag82! :drinkup

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
Please keep it coming

Quote from mikef87:

You do need a mass hoisting license to run a machine. Also its not worth it buy a truck and trailer to move it around once in a while. I'd look for an older truck if your going to use it on site. Go to the Massachusetts dept of public safety webstie to get the application for the hoisting license.

Thanks for the words, Mike. I'm very glad that someone from the state I'm planning to work in wrote back. There's nothing like getting it directly from the source ... :)

Quote from Cat420:

It will dig out stumps are good or better than any other backhoe. The lifting power of the backhoe end is limited by stability first. What that means is you can pick up enough weight to lift the front end up or fill the front bucket with dirt and get more lift farther out. Some machines are hydraulically limited, meaning you run out of power before lifting the other end. With the bucket filled, I can dig stumps out almost as far as it will reach. Obviously different trees have differing root systems, so some are easier than others.

We have no A/C, so summers are a little warm, but the heat works fine in the winter.

I should also note, it is one heavy beast. Ours with the e-stick, heavy counterweight up front, 4n1 bucket, cab, drive shaft guards, and stabilizer cylinder guards weighs in right at 20,000lbs. Needless to say, mud is not its friend. Not that a 16k lb Cat, Case or Deere will be a whole lot better, but more weight never helps

Thanks again to you as well, Cat420. It sounds like the 420D is one serious backhoe indeed. Obviously, you would know. I'm still jealous about the cab, though ... and great job on those trees and stumps! :D

Quote from CM1995:

Hey Handlogger - welcome to the forums.

I have an '03 420DIT and it has been a good machine. One thing about the D model cat backhoes is the parking brake - extremely week. Of course a parking brake not working on a backhoe is really not an issue with so many parts you can stick in the ground. The only other issue I have had is the A/C, not a problem with an open cab- obviously.

One suggestion would be to take fluid samples: oil, hydraulic, coolant, gear oil, etc, and take them to the local Cat dealer for analysis. I fluid test all of my machines at every fluid change and it will tell you if something is wrong. I think the charge for each analysis is $12, when the machine is out of warranty (it is included while the machine is under warranty). Cheap insurance when buying a new machine, but be careful to take a clean sample at the correct operating temperature, as specified in the manual.

If the machine checks out with 422 hours and the price is right, it should supply you with years of service

Thanks for the warm welcome, CM. Your suggestions are very well taken indeed. Can you elaborate a bit on how the samples are actually taken? If not, do you know where I could read the procedure for doing this?

And thanks to anyone I may have missed. And to anyone reading this, please keep it coming. It really means a lot to us ... :)

Gmads

Occupation
Ditchdigger
Try calling the local CAT dealer (or the selling dealer - hopefully it's the same) and talk to someone in product support. Give him the serial# of the machine and see if he can give you some info on it. He may have info on warranty work or PM work that would help confirm/deny the indicated hours. You can also arrange for them to go look at the machine for you to give you feedback on it (they can take oil samples for you). This'll cost you a little bit (not bad) but I think it would give you some piece of mind.

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
Another great post!

Try calling the local CAT dealer (or the selling dealer - hopefully it's the same) and talk to someone in product support. Give him the serial# of the machine and see if he can give you some info on it. He may have info on warranty work or PM work that would help confirm/deny the indicated hours. You can also arrange for them to go look at the machine for you to give you feedback on it (they can take oil samples for you). This'll cost you a little bit (not bad) but I think it would give you some piece of mind.

Thanks for the fine advice, Gmads. I've got the serial number(s) from the machine, so this might be a great path to take. Have you heard of CAT techs going "on the road" to check out a piece of equipment? If that's really possible, it seems to me that it would be well worth investing in! Really helpful post! :D

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
Thanks for the fine advice, Gmads. I've got the serial number(s) from the machine, so this might be a great path to take. Have you heard of CAT techs going "on the road" to check out a piece of equipment? If that's really possible, it seems to me that it would be well worth investing in! Really helpful post! :D

Having someone out from Cat is expensive. I've had them out and the rates they charge are ridiculous. Do you know any local mechanics?