• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 420D

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
I've got an opportunity to purchase a CAT 420D, but I don't know what to look for when I inspect it. The unit is an '02 model, with low hours: 422. I don't know much more than that right now, but I'd like to know more about what to look for when I get there. I haven't operated a backhoe loader since I was a much younger man -- my Dad was a dairy farmer -- so I feel like a real rookie now. Regardless, I never actually did any mechanical repairs on his machine, so I guess I am a rookie when it comes to buying one of my own. :eek:

Knocking, smoking, tire condition, leaks, the electrical system and overall appearance seem simple enough to inspect, but the more technical issues -- like pins and bushings -- are not something I have any experience with. I've got a narrow window of time to look at the machine, so I'd really appreciate any helpful advice you might be able to give me. By the way, I fully understand that operating a machine and working on one are two entirely different things, so please feel free to school me as much as you care to ... I'm all eyes ;)

Thanks very much for your time and your consideration ... :)

pwrstroke6john

with a machine with only 422 hrs. there shouldnt be many problems at all, its practically new. When I purchased my 01 fermec(terex) 760 it had 180 hrs. and i pretty much got a new machine for a lot less. If the machine was an owner/operator, which by the hours it might be they are usually well cared for. good luck

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
Thanks John,

As the machine is really an unknown quantity at this point, I'm not really sure what to make of it. Just in case, though, do you know much about checking pins and bushings?

Any thoughts appreciated ... By the way, how do you like your Terex 760?

Have a great night ... :)

Last edited:

cat320

Charter Member
with only 422 on the meter i probably would not even bat an eye about it as far as wear,when i got my case it had 500 more hr's on it and it was really nice just a few years newer.

thehose

Occupation
Funeral Industry
Look for these things to start.

#1 Why is it for sale (this may be a very simple and logical answer, but inquiring minds want to know)

check oil (discoloration, fluid separation), radiator (discoloration, fluid seperation), hydraulics (discoloration, fluid separation), differential.

Look over engine for leaks, discoloration of paint (overheating)

Look at the undercarriage for dents, anything broken, badly scraped

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
Hello up in Stoneham

with only 422 on the meter i probably would not even bat an eye about it as far as wear,when i got my case it had 500 more hr's on it and it was really nice just a few years newer.

Cat320,

We're in the process of buying forested property in western Mass, and the 420D would be used for various purposes out there. First, I'd like to get some "state specific" information about owning & operating a machine such as this in Mass. The 420D will be used privately, for now, but one never knows about the future. In other words, I have no plans to use it anywhere but on the farm at this point. Do you know of any reason why I'd need to register it if it stays on our own property?

I'd also like to ask you about transporting a backhoe in Mass. I see that you own a 1-ton Ford. What type of trailer do you use to move your machine? Is your truck a dually? Does Mass require special licenses and insurance for you to pull the entire rig (machine and all)?

I suppose I could just have the unit "dropped off," and sort of let things lie, but seeing that you live in Mass, I thought I'd ask you for your thoughts in this regard. Please feel free to comment as much as you care to ... ;)

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
Thanks hose

Look for these things to start.

#1 Why is it for sale (this may be a very simple and logical answer, but inquiring minds want to know)

check oil (discoloration, fluid separation), radiator (discoloration, fluid seperation), hydraulics (discoloration, fluid separation), differential.

Look over engine for leaks, discoloration of paint (overheating)

Look at the undercarriage for dents, anything broken, badly scraped

Great advice, Hose! The machine is for sale because the guy that owned it passed away. The woman that now owns his business (his widow) is now selling off the assets.

As for the rest, I'll have to check all of them as soon as I can. By the way, I'm assuming that by "discoloration and fluid separation," you mean that I should look for foreign liquids -- such as water or coolant -- that's mixed with whichever fluid I'm checking. Is this correct?

Also, when you mentioned the "differential," did you mean that I should test the gear oil in that as well?

Thanks again ... :)

kwag82

case 580 superL

hey guys im a new member to this site and i need to get my 3 posts in before i can start my own thread so i figured i would jump into this one. I have been running a case 580 super L for a guy. He charges me hourly for the machine and then i can go charge whatever on top of that rate for the jobs that i do. he wants to sell the machine to me now. it has 25% tires but only 1750 hours on it. what do you think it is worth? i was going to offer him $30,000 for it. Do you think that is a good price?

thehose

Occupation
Funeral Industry
As for the rest, I'll have to check all of them as soon as I can. By the way, I'm assuming that by "discoloration and fluid separation," you mean that I should look for foreign liquids -- such as water or coolant -- that's mixed with whichever fluid I'm checking. Is this correct?

Also, when you mentioned the "differential," did you mean that I should test the gear oil in that as well?

Thanks again ... :)

You are right on!

It seems that you 'know' the machine and who owned it, so you would likely know if it had been swamped or somthing like that. head gasket and stuff.

But you are pretty close to this machine so there should be nothing like that going on.

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
The machine is out of state

You are right on!

It seems that you 'know' the machine and who owned it, so you would likely know if it had been swamped or somthing like that. head gasket and stuff.

But you are pretty close to this machine so there should be nothing like that going on.

A friend of mine "heard about" this machine and turned me on to it. Actually, I've only corresponded with the woman who inherited it and she doesn't know much about the machine, which seems reasonable under the circumstances. :beatsme

Therefore, I'm sort of starting from scratch (so to speak) with the machine. Thanks again for the solid advice. And to everyone else reading this, please keep it coming ... :)

thehose

Occupation
Funeral Industry
Ok logger, that does kind of change things. 422hrs, is the meter working!!!

Now you're going to have to check on that. You can get a general look at the machine and see if its really at 422hrs or 2422. Once you get to it make a determination if it really seems to be 422 or if the meter could be out.

422 is not out of the question but we all agree that it would be sweet to be at 422 again.

When are you going to see it? Can your friend take some general picutres for you?

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
Ok logger, that does kind of change things. 422hrs, is the meter working!!!

Now you're going to have to check on that. You can get a general look at the machine and see if its really at 422hrs or 2422. Once you get to it make a determination if it really seems to be 422 or if the meter could be out.

422 is not out of the question but we all agree that it would be sweet to be at 422 again.

When are you going to see it? Can your friend take some general picutres for you?

Once again, all great points. ;) I've seen four photos of the machine and it looks pretty good. Other than surface rust on both buckets, the rest of the machine looks rust free. One of the photos shows the meter reading, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's accurate, so that point is well taken.

I'm trying to make arrangements at the moment, but I hope to see it this week. I just want to do all I can to become better informed before I travel to see the unit. Many thanks for being so helpful ... :D

thehose

Occupation
Funeral Industry
I think every man should own a backhoe, even if it is a Cat!!!

Ha, No problem at all. I'm glad we can help out and put some things on your mind.

Does it have an enclosed cab? EROPS

Do you know about the "IT" models? would be a 420D IT
Integrated Tool carriers, basically a quck-detach bucket system to switch you to forks and other attachments.

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
A big thing will be to check for dry rot on stuff(tires, hoses, etc.) If the hours are accurate, it has sat for most of its life and some things will have dried out. It's not a deal breaker, but something to be aware of.

Ours had just under 3,000 hrs when we bought it and now has almost 4k. We changed all the fluids, e-stick wear plates, and had to replace one rotten hose. The only major unplanned thing was a new turbo, because we hadn't been letting it cool down before shutting the machine off. The fan for the cab is a little quirky, but 4k hrs of dust will do that to any machine. Other than that, I wouldn't trade it for any other machine. Smooth controls and tons of engine and hydraulic power.

Click Here to see the tree we took out:D

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
Man, you are insightful!

I think every man should own a backhoe, even if it is a Cat!!!

Ha, No problem at all. I'm glad we can help out and put some things on your mind.

Does it have an enclosed cab? EROPS

Do you know about the "IT" models? would be a 420D IT
Integrated Tool carriers, basically a quck-detach bucket system to switch you to forks and other attachments.

Do tell? Do you something about CATs that I don't? Please don't hold back ;)

By the way, great call on the cab. No it doesn't, and that's the rub. The machine will be used in the northeast and, as we all know, it gets cold up here. I realize that it probably sounds a bit crazy, but I'm also researching what it would take to enclose the cab. I'm assuming that an actual CAT cab would be very dear indeed, so I'm looking into the alternatives. In fact, I just got off the phone with a guy down in NJ (Fremar) who gave me a quote. I'm also assuming that I'll have to get a heater as well.

I've seen the 420DIT on the web and it looks great! Is there any way to add this great "quick-tach" feature to a plain 420D? :popcorn

thehose

Occupation
Funeral Industry
Not a single thing I can say bad about Cat backhoe's.

I'm just a Case fan and we get enough ribbing so when we have the opportunity to throw a jab, well you know.

I came up through the Case ranks and they have just been good to us. I've only been on one Cat (416C). Until the 2 hurricane's I had a local Case dealer and had a nice relationship with them. (even though we've only bought 4 machines from them or anyone else for that matter).

I don't know about adding a cab, it's probably very $$$.
Adding 'IT' will simply be ridiculously expensive. Plumbing, new loader arms, new pilot station levers and on and on.

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
Great photos!

A big thing will be to check for dry rot on stuff(tires, hoses, etc.) If the hours are accurate, it has sat for most of its life and some things will have dried out. It's not a deal breaker, but something to be aware of.

Ours had just under 3,000 hrs when we bought it and now has almost 4k. We changed all the fluids, e-stick wear plates, and had to replace one rotten hose. The only major unplanned thing was a new turbo, because we hadn't been letting it cool down before shutting the machine off. The fan for the cab is a little quirky, but 4k hrs of dust will do that to any machine. Other than that, I wouldn't trade it for any other machine. Smooth controls and tons of engine and hydraulic power.

Click Here to see the tree we took out:D

Thanks, 420. Your advice is also very well taken. Yes, the machine probably has spent more than its share of those 5 years dormant. I found your words about the turbo to be very educational as well; I forgot all about that. :eek:

As for the job you depicted in your gallery -- great going! I too will be using the machine for clearing trees and stumps (along with various digging jobs). The only difference that comes to mind, however, is that I need the trees for lumber. We're blessed to have quite a few 1st grade and veneer grade saw logs in our trees, so I have to be careful with most of them ... which probably means a lot of regular old stumps to dig up. How much of a pain is removing stumps for your 420D?

By the way, your machine has ours beat all to [you know what] in one important area: a cab. I'm green with envy. :pointhead

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
Gotcha!

Not a single thing I can say bad about Cat backhoe's.

I'm just a Case fan and we get enough ribbing so when we have the opportunity to throw a jab, well you know.

I came up through the Case ranks and they have just been good to us. I've only been on one Cat (416C). Until the 2 hurricane's I had a local Case dealer and had a nice relationship with them. (even though we've only bought 4 machines from them or anyone else for that matter).

I don't know about adding a cab, it's probably very $$$.
Adding 'IT' will simply be ridiculously expensive. Plumbing, new loader arms, new pilot station levers and on and on.

The machine I used back on the farm was a Case as well, and I don't remember my Dad having a lot of trouble with his either. One thing's for sure, though. I'd be a right dimwit to criticize anyone's machine. God bless all the folks that do this sort of work.

By the way, you mentioned the "2 hurricanes." Where are you located? Are you in the NOLA area? :popcorn

thehose

Occupation
Funeral Industry
We are based in Beaumont, TX. But our locations hit the hardest were Sabine Pass, and Newton.

Water/Wind destroyed the shop in sabine pass. Downed tree removal almost put us under in Newton.

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
Cat320,

We're in the process of buying forested property in western Mass, and the 420D would be used for various purposes out there. First, I'd like to get some "state specific" information about owning & operating a machine such as this in Mass. The 420D will be used privately, for now, but one never knows about the future. In other words, I have no plans to use it anywhere but on the farm at this point. Do you know of any reason why I'd need to register it if it stays on our own property?

I'd also like to ask you about transporting a backhoe in Mass. I see that you own a 1-ton Ford. What type of trailer do you use to move your machine? Is your truck a dually? Does Mass require special licenses and insurance for you to pull the entire rig (machine and all)?

I suppose I could just have the unit "dropped off," and sort of let things lie, but seeing that you live in Mass, I thought I'd ask you for your thoughts in this regard. Please feel free to comment as much as you care to ... ;)

You do need a mass hoisting license to run a machine. Also its not worth it buy a truck and trailer to move it around once in a while. I'd look for an older truck if your going to use it on site. Go to the Massachusetts dept of public safety webstie to get the application for the hoisting license.