1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

CAT 420D Oil Cooler Line?

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by JCinNC, Sep 1, 2021.

1. JCinNC

JCinNC Well-Known Member

Wondering if any have information on this line?

CAT 420D Backhoe.
    Sitting in the drivers seat, this is the right side of the engine. (Probably figured that out.)
    Have a leak on it. Traced back, it looks to go from the transmission to here like a transmission cooler.

Thanks for any info.

Attached Files:

2. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    Do they look like the ones in the illustration below.?
    A Serial Number would confirm the correct Part Number for your hose. There are probably half a dozen different models of 420D.

upload_2021-9-1_19-14-10.png

3. JCinNC

JCinNC Well-Known Member

Thanks. That looks just like it. I'll get the serial though.

I'm tempted to cut and coupling it 'cause it doesn't appear to be high pressure. It's attached from the factory with a screw clamp at the cooler.

4. Nige

Nige Senior Member

I'd seen that on the parts list and thought to myself - "I wonder if it's the hose clamp that's leaking?"

I'll wait on your Serial Number before quoting Part Numbers.

5. JCinNC

JCinNC Well-Known Member

Full PIN: CAT0420DTFDP21453
    Thanks.

6. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Slighlty different illustration for your machine. Attached the parts break down.

Attached Files:

7. JCinNC

JCinNC Well-Known Member

Thanks. Really appreciate the information. I currently cut and coupled it together today.

The hose just appears to be reinforced rubber hose. Not what I would call a true "hydraulic" hose.
    I cut it with ordinary PVC pipe cutters, put a brass polyethylene pipe coupling in it, and tightened with screw clamps on both sides.
    Some pictures if it helps anyone.
    CAT420DTransCoolerHose.jpg
    Picture one shows the hose after I cut it where the pinhole leak was.
    CAT420DTransCoolerHoseCoupling.jpg
    Picture two shows the insert coupling installed on one side.