• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 420D IT ?

Happy J

Occupation
General Contractor
Well, being new here I'd just like to say hello to everyone.:waving
I've been looking to buy a used TLB. So far I really like the Cat 420D IT but I'd like to get some input. Right now I'm a partner in general construction and looking to move into excavating and maybe keep doing concrete work(because I just like hard work to much!).
I had been looking at dozers but decided that a TLB would be a better first step. Is there any thing to watch out for on the 420s-430s or is there a better choice? Also, has anyone bought from ironplanet before?
I also wondered if anyone uses them for snow plowing? We get a fair amount of snow up here in central Wisconsin and that would keep it busyer year round. Bad thinking or no???
I would love to hear your thoughts, ideas, experiences.
-Happy J

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
Welcome!

Our 420D is the standard loader arms, but the rest is basically the same. As far as I know there aren't any major problems with them. My only big complaint, if you can call it that, is the comfort of the loader control, but the IT configuration has the smoother pilot controls for the loader so that wouldn't be an issue for you.

We had always rented Case 580's before buying a backhoe and I can say that the 420 hands down blows away a 580. It is heavier,stronger, and faster with almost twice the hydraulic flow. If I fill the front bucket with dirt, I can rip out 18-20 inch stumps at full e-stick extension with ease. It is very stable on slopes and excellent for loading trucks. The hydraulics are well matched to the ground speed, so there is little need to ride the brakes when approaching the truck. Our's gets used to help cleanup our 800 foot driveway in the winter and it performs similarly to any other backhoe in the snow. It's plenty strong for a snowpusher or plow. Our configuration is pretty heavy at almost 20,000lbs, so deep mud is not its friend, but that can be said of most machines. If the ground is firm with just some slop on top it will still push very well. Overall an excellent machine with good power, fuel efficiency, balance, and visibility.

Some guys on here have said that Deere backhoes are every bit as good as Cat, but I haven't run any to compare. I have no reason to believe they are full of it though. A huge part of the package will be dealer support. If the Cat or Deere is reliable in your area, go with the one you feel most comfortable with. Anything can break on any machine, so you will want a good dealer to be available to keep you running. There's not much worse than a dealer that doesn't listen or care about your needs. We had inquired about a used machine at the local Terex dealer and they sent a salesmen out with brochures for new machine and we never found out the price on the used one. After he left me and my dad looked at each other and were like, "Are they really that dumb?". Needless to say they didn't get our money. Ironically, it was a Cat machine that we ran at the Terex dealer and liked it so much that we bought one, just from someone else.

I've heard both good and bad about Ironplanet, so unless you could inspect the piece yourself it is a bit of a risk. That being said, I've seen some pretty good deals and 420s and 430s on there. Just a matter of how much risk you want to assume.

Sorry for the life story, just let me know if I can help with anything else.

Last edited:

Happy J

Occupation
General Contractor
Thanks for your input CAT420.
Do you have a 4in 1? I was wondering how well they cut through hard ground and does the bucket still perform well? They seem to be a little different shape.
We also rented a John Deere 310 once, it seemed ok but I just don't know what would compare to the 'IT' features.
I would be interested in knowing what those of you with TLBs charge and also if anyone does alot of snow plowing and removal and how they charge -that is if anyone would care to share.

Thanks, Happy J

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
Yes it has the 4 in 1. It seems to work like any other bucket when closed. It cuts very well in reasonably hard ground. The hardest dry clay gives it some problems, but with the differential lock engaged it will tear into most ground pretty good. You also get a more dozer-like finish when backdragging with the bucket open. It levels and loosens the ground pretty well, whereas dragging with the cutting edge tends to compact the ground too much. Not too mention all the things that can be clamped and picked up that would normally have to be done by hand. I couldn't go back to a standard bucket again. It and the guards on the stabilizer cylinders are worth every penny.

For size a 410 Deere would probably be more comparable, but I don't know if they offer any type of IT package, maybe just a coupler? The Cat IT loader arms are nice since they keep the bucket level without interfering with the hydraulics. They also have more breakout force than the standard arms, which have more than enough as it is.

I think we get around 95/hr if billing hourly for dirt work, but don't do any snow removal.

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
we have 4 cat 420D IT's at work and they can't be beat.

we do alot of plowing and keep the same rate as we do in summer..$50 an hour,also we put on a bucket from an IT28 loader to use as a cheap snow bucket does the job quite well.

also if you can try to find a machine with the guards for your stabilizers in the long run that piece of metal is a life saver.

Happy J

Occupation
General Contractor
Thanks Murray83!

I like the sound of $95hr better than $50hr but I'm sure it all depends on the area and what you do exactly...or is that Canadian money?

-Happy J

Duke

I don't know who's paying the bills for these things, but $93,000 for the 420D or $137,000 for the E? That's just plain outrageous. For that kind of money they should be able to tap you a cold beer after work and mow the lawn, too.